My New Brachypelma Smithi?????

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I finally got to take a picture of my new spider up close today when it went for a walk. It is close to 4.5 inches in length.

It looks like it could be a Smithi to me, but Annitha don't look too undifferent. Many of the pictures I found of Annitha species show a smaller lighter/smaller black section on the carapace. But I don't know if that matters since there is evidently some argument in the science community over whether they are actually the same species.

I was a little worried buying it from Petco, but at the same time felt like I could give it a much better home than their aquarium tank with no substrate and almost no hide for it. The clerk said this spider had been there for a while. So it may be an older spider and I don't care if it is male or female. I am going to enjoy learning about it.

Coconana

Arachnosquire
I was a little worried buying it from Petco, but at the same time felt like I could give it a much better home than their aquarium tank with no substrate and almost no hide for it. The clerk said this spider had been there for a while. So it may be an older spider and I don't care if it is male or female. I am going to enjoy learning about it.
No matter where you bought it from, regardless of whatever anybody may have told you, you just made a world of difference for this tarantula. With luck and patience, and maybe a little bit of time, s/he will repay you by becoming healthy and happy.

Congrats on the find! What a gorgeous T :happy:

Octagon

Arachnoperson
Congrats on your beautiful B smithi. I have a smithi also and I love her. They are gorgeous T's.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I finally got to take a picture of my new spider up close today when it went for a walk. It is close to 4.5 inches in length.

It looks like it could be a Smithi to me, but Annitha don't look too undifferent. Many of the pictures I found of Annitha species show a smaller lighter/smaller black section on the carapace. But I don't know if that matters since there is evidently some argument in the science community over whether they are actually the same species.

Beautiful B. Smithi there! Love this gorgeous species :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
It's always tempting to buy the couple T's they have at my local petsway...they've been there for the last few months, but man they have a price tag on them. And I know if I bought them they would just restock the two they have

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I wish the Petcos around here had such nice B. smithis
I have noticed that my Petco has stopped carrying those strange looking tall bottles with the tiny spider in it. But I didn't ask any sales person so maybe they are just hidden from view. I have never seen any T's in the Petsmart near here. Both stores are loaded with snakes, lizards, turtles, and frogs.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
It's always tempting to buy the couple T's they have at my local petsway...they've been there for the last few months, but man they have a price tag on them. And I know if I bought them they would just restock the two they have
I agree on the temptation. I am trying to keep myself from getting tempted by buying more T's beyond a couple Psalmopoeus and Avic species that I want badly. But I keep looking at the Gallery section and pictures in the threads and seeing more that I want. I feel like a kid in a candy store.