My new baby!

Ameliapede

Arachnopeon
So I've been wanting to add to my collection (I only have one avic) and since I have a MM on his last leg, I went to Petsmart to purchase some supplies for the set up (I had a gift card). Walking past the live animal cages, I see a cute lil sleeping pink toe! Now I usually (always) buy my exotic pets from my local exotic reptile store but this was an exception.
me: I can I hold it, examine it?
PS: No, no touching, can't hold them, they flick hairs, feels like bee stings on your skin....
Me: 🤦🏻‍♀️😳um no it doesn't, just give her to me, what do I have to sign.
10 mins later we are in my caron the way home.
next morning while doing a healt check: left side 4 legs, 1 ped. Right side 4 legs, 😳no ped. I called they didn't care. So she is better off with me anyways. Isn't she(?) pretty?!?!🥰 8C305642-B593-4A6E-B080-0F5A85F9AE09.jpeg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How/ where would you get a wc in a Cali Petsmart? Any advice ??
I've seen it before in LA

I know it's not a puppy but never? I wanted to do a health check and they said it was because they flick hairs.
Yes, never, that is if you want to keep it alive. Remember all Avics jump as a defensive behavior. They expect branches to be nearby, not a floor for a 6 ft drop etc.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I know it's not a puppy but never? I wanted to do a health check and they said it was because they flick hairs.
It's not so much because of what they can do to you, more because they can jump, fall and get injured, or escape, or all 4.

How/ where would you get a wc in a Cali Petsmart? Any advice ??
Imported from South America. You can guarantee almost any grown on spider you see in a big chain pet store will have been wild caught; hence why i don't buy from these places or spend any money there

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Why would you need to hold it to do a health check? You can look at the spider in their enclosure to check in on them. If anything looks out of the ordinary it should be pretty easy to spot.

Ameliapede

Arachnopeon
I've seen it before in LA

Yes, never, that is if you want to keep it alive. Remember all Avics jump as a defensive behavior. They expect branches to be nearby, not a floor for a 6 ft drop etc.
Ok, noted. As for holding im only 5 feet tall, ok all joking aside, I am very aware of jumping and an the few occasions I have handled them it is with there cage on a table, me seated at the table and my hand or arm a few inches from the cage or table. I am very careful but understand the advisement because sometimes things are not thought through. Thank you for the advice/wisdom.

Ameliapede

Arachnopeon
Why would you need to hold it to do a health check? You can look at the spider in their enclosure to check in on them. If anything looks out of the ordinary it should be pretty easy to spot.
Except when she was sleeping all curled up, didn't see she was missing an arm...

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Congrats on your new spider! As others have said, it’s best to keep hands off - for the animal’s safety.

Enjoy! :D

Last edited:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Except when she was sleeping all curled up, didn't see she was missing an arm...
They don't really sleep, she was probably stress curling from being kept in sub-optimal pet store conditions. Nonetheless a missing leg would be noticed soon enough without needing to hold the animal.

You're more than welcome to do whatever you want with your own spider, none of us can physically keep you from doing anything. But virtually no one on these boards recommends handling because there is always a risk involved.