My new baby!

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Well, I'll tell the story tomorrow, but here's my first "big" tarantula - - - as in about 3.5" right now :D. For now, I'm heading to bed.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice lividum. Give her some substrate! These guys are burrowers, give her about 7-8".

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Enjoy seeing it while you can! Beautiful T. It's a shame they hide so much. Really pretty, awesome structure. Magnificent even!

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't be too sure about the burrowing - mine refuses to burrow, no matter HOW much substrate I put her on. She has a web between a decoration and the wall of the enclosure.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Know much about Haplos? If not...This will most likely be an obligate burrower. I'd give it a good 6-8 inches of substrate. You'll be restricted to seeing it at night time, if at all. I recommend a red light for viewing. They can have a very defensive attitude and are not recommended for handling.
Enjoy your new spider.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Back at work.

Alright, here's my story: I apologize now - I love to tell stories, so this may get lengthy. A month ago, I knew nothing about Tarantulas, but then I fell into the hobby by acquiring two fairly rare slings. I've always been known for very strange (to the average person . . . whoever he/she is) hobbies and interests, so this didn't surprise my friends in the least. I'm an absolute researchaholic, so I've spent the last several weeks reading every post on these boards (and a few others) - plus I bought the tarantula "Bible" by Schultz and Schultz, and have read it cover to cover (some sections several times). I made my want list, and checked out all the major dealers to see what was available, but money is of course short and I knew I would have to delay jumping all the way into the hobby. Still, I kinda wanted at least one "big" tarantula to go along with the babies. So, last week I went to every LPS within 20 miles of home to see what they had. I was surprised to find 3 decent ones with at least a couple T's more unique than the "Rose hair" or "Pink toe". However, nothing screamed "Buy me!" (at least in my price range) so it was just a fun afternoon out of the house.

Yesterday, I went to my closest LPS to get a few little crickets for my slings, and of course made the obligatory walk around the shop to see all the animals. They had just gotten 4 new T's in the day before. 3 were on the counter on full display with nice setups, and 1 was buried back in the tanks with all the snakes. It wasn't actually on my want list, but the one back with the snakes was a lovely H. lividum (marked as H. lilidum, but hey, they were close) about 3.5" in length . . . . for only $30. She was on wood mulch with no water dish and just a driftwood log that didn't provide any hiding place in the tank. I'll skip ahead to when my wife said o.k. - I told the female employee that I was going to go ahead and get it, and she was excited because she wanted to watch. "Reptile Joe" came around the corner and inquired about what I was buying and actually went white when I told him I wanted the Cobalt Blue. She asked him if he was scared, and he admitted that he actually was (found out later he had been bitten by an OBT three years ago). Apparently he had discovered when she came in that she was "lightning fast and mean." He had her over there with the snakes because he was considering selling the whole setup with her so that he wouldn't have to "handle" her again. {D When he finally got her into the deli cup, she wouldn't let him close the lid (would have smashed a couple legs), so he handed her to me with the loose lid to see if I could coax her farther in. After a couple failed attempts, I went ahead and gently blew on her through an air hole. :embarrassed: Instant full on threat pose clearing the front legs, so I snapped the lid tight ;P and she immediately attempted to tag me through the plastic. That's when the adrenaline kicked in . . . . I didn't realize the force that she could "defend" with. The "smack" had some power behind it. Yeah, I think I'm going to enjoy this hobby :eek: - hopefully all my learning experiences will be just as painless.

Last edited:

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Very nice lividum. Give her some substrate! These guys are burrowers, give her about 7-8".
Wasn't entirely sure how much to give her, guess I undershot a little - she has just over 4 inches right now - I'll add another 3 when I get home tonight.

This will most likely be an obligate burrower. I'd give it a good 6-8 inches of substrate. You'll be restricted to seeing it at night time, if at all. I recommend a red light for viewing. They can have a very defensive attitude and are not recommended for handling.
No worries about me trying out handling with this one . . . she made that clear yesterday :rolleyes:

Don't be too sure about the burrowing - mine refuses to burrow, no matter HOW much substrate I put her on. She has a web between a decoration and the wall of the enclosure.
It's possible she is the same - I don't think she's had the opportunity to burrow before now, but last night she went straight into the half buried pot I gave her. This morning I noticed that she webbed between the back of the pot and the corner of the tank pretty well, and put a little hammock halfway back inside the pot. Hopefully, she'll just make that her "cave" so I can see her more often.

Last edited:

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congratulations on the new H.lividum once it burrows enjoy looking after a "pet hole" hehehe

Nice enough species when on view.

:)

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
So far so cool :razz: yesterday she spent the whole day inside of her pot, but this morning she was out and about and has been exploring all day . . . . . probably looking for a place to dig :wall:

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
Try starting a hole on the side of the glass/plastic for her. Might help you to see more of her.