My New Baby Nhandu Chromatus!

Shirah Gantman

Arachnopeon
I finally got my little Brazilian Red and White a couple days ago as a gift from the Zoo clinic I work for!
I have been helping to care for 100 Ts that were illegally smuggled into the country and confiscated three months ago. They were brought to our clinic to be cared for until they could be placed in Zoo exhibits. Day one I fell in love with this little one because she was the only placid one, and hoped they would give her to me. And on Monday they did!!! I named her Amabilia (Latin for Lovely) I call her "Mabel"...
I set her up in a Terrarium, She straight away ate something, and then burrowed deep in her substrate and hasn't come out since. LOL
If anyone can give me some advice to make things better for my new baby, I am never to proud to get advice from experts!
She is my very first Nhandu Chromatus and I want to do this right! I used to have 2 Honduras Curly Hairs, But different Ts have different needs. Thanks all! A+ Gallery_45-01.jpeg IMG_20200120_131252-01.jpeg IMG_20200120_131431-01.jpeg

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe the tank is a tad too large, but i guess it will be ok. A better hide would be good, luke a curved piece of corkbark. You can also cover half of the ventilated lid with plastic wrapping so that the miisture stays in the tank little longer. Otherwise the tank look good!

Shirah Gantman

Arachnopeon
Maybe the tank is a tad too large, but i guess it will be ok. A better hide would be good, luke a curved piece of corkbark. You can also cover half of the ventilated lid with plastic wrapping so that the miisture stays in the tank little longer. Otherwise the tank look good!
Thank you! I actually have a piece of curved cork bark somewhere from my last Tarantula. Just have to find it in storage.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats! She (hopefully) looks beautiful.

I'm far from an expert, but it's possible she hasn't come out of her burrow because she's nearing a molt. Or she could just be a reclusive T, lol. Mine is usually out and about these days, but he still bolts into his cork bark the moment I move his enclosure. Nervous little guy mine is, though I wouldn't exactly say he's fearful. He's growing faster than any of the other Ts I have at the moment, or at least he's molted the most and put on the most size.

I'm excited for you. I have really enjoyed mine. Got him because the seller I was purchasing from didn't have any A. geniculata slings and they look similar, but I've been surprised at how much fun he's been. I hope your experience is just as awesome.

Shirah Gantman

Arachnopeon
Congrats! She (hopefully) looks beautiful.

I'm far from an expert, but it's possible she hasn't come out of her burrow because she's nearing a molt. Or she could just be a reclusive T, lol. Mine is usually out and about these days, but he still bolts into his cork bark the moment I move his enclosure. Nervous little guy mine is, though I wouldn't exactly say he's fearful. He's growing faster than any of the other Ts I have at the moment, or at least he's molted the most and put on the most size.

I'm excited for you. I have really enjoyed mine. Got him because the seller I was purchasing from didn't have any A. geniculata slings and they look similar, but I've been surprised at how much fun he's been. I hope your experience is just as awesome.
Thanks.. She is s real Sweetie. Very placid and not skiddish at all. Her last molt was roughly a month ago. Not sure if she is going through another... But she could be I guess.. not an expert with slings. I have had two other Ts in my life and they were both adults already when I got them.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If she molted that recently, it's not likely to be another. My little guy is much younger and he's molted about every 7 weeks, give or take. I imagine she's just settling in then. :)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Nice tarantula all around. The enclosure is rather on the large size, but it will grow into it as it molts. One thing I suggest you do is pat down on the substrate in the enclosure because the substrate looks very loose and tarantulas can sometimes be bothered by overly loose substrate and will climb on the sides rather than staying on the substrate.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Got him because the seller I was purchasing from didn't have any A. geniculata slings and they look similar,
That is the exact reason I got my s'ling last month. There were no genics available at the expo I attended, so Nhandu chromatus it was! Picked up a C. darlingi as well, but not as a substitute for something else.

Shirah Gantman

Arachnopeon
Nice tarantula all around. The enclosure is rather on the large size, but it will grow into it as it molts. One thing I suggest you do is pat down on the substrate in the enclosure because the substrate looks very loose and tarantulas can sometimes be bothered by overly loose substrate and will climb on the sides rather than staying on the substrate.
I will work on the substrate in the morning. Atm She is burrowed deep down inside. She left a little hole open at the top. She's been down there for a couple of days now. Is it ok to disturb her to fix the substrate?

Shirah Gantman

Arachnopeon
I will work on the substrate in the morning. Atm She is burrowed deep down inside. She left a little hole open at the top. She's been down there for a couple of days now. Is it ok to disturb her to fix the substrate?

YAAAY! SHE CAME OUT of her little burrow!!! I was so worried she wasn't ok... So I opened her lid to say hi and maybe give her a little snack, and she took one look at me and scooted quickly right back in her burrow. LOL!
Look how deep in she is! IMG_20200123_115912.jpg

Last edited: