my new babies

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Its like an Ostrich!

I would'nt hurt monkeys though........
Havn't you seen Project X w/ Matt Broderick!
Just line up a few Politicians.
I do feel that Venom research is Important....

Last edited:

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That makes a lot of sense. Like (Venom quantity) / (LD50)="danger quotient" or something?

Funny, another thought I had just now is how futile these types of measurements really are in the real world. It's pretty much a given that the local population already knows that this organism or that one is dangerous and to avoid them. The people that live with these creatures usually know enough about the danger to keep themselves alive well before some scientist shows up and collects some specimens for LD50 testing.
In some cases that is true, but most of the time its not. There have been lots of tarantulas feared as deadly by the people the "local population". Natives one thought tailless whip scorpions were deadly. There are still people today who think if a scorpion pinches you that you will die.

YoungGun

Arachnopeon
Pigs would be a 'reasonable' substitute species to test the effects out on, especially for necrosis etc.

S.Hahni are a stunning species, as are Terrosus, Gracilis and Damarensis, easy to keep and extremely rewarding to observe.

DEFRA definitely DO plan on introducing these onto the DWAL next year (2010) in the UK, for other countries I haven't looked into it yet but will be doing in regards to legalities for import/export.

Stunning spids either way paul mate :D

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow....the videos posted on the first page were amazingly cool.

I have to ask though, why is everyone so up in arms about people keeping these spiders? I realize their toxicity and the potential for a bite, but is it really any worse than a number of the other higher-than-usual toxic invertebrates available out there? L. quinquestriatus, A. australis, Latrodectus, Recluses, etc to name a few are pretty commonly kept by hobbyists and I rarely see a thread about them become so ripe with animosity over their being kept in captivity.

Personally, I would LOVE to be able to keep some Sicarius species.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I have to ask though, why is everyone so up in arms about people keeping these spiders?
i don't know. they are, as you said, dangerous, but so are phoneutria, atrax, loxosceles, etc, etc. having been around sicarius and played with them a bit, they are not super aggressive or out to bite anybody.

to me, it's the exact same as keeping other dangerous critters like the trues and scorps you mentioned. i see no difference. care and responsibility should be exercised at all times just like with anything else. also, what might not help is that there is very little testing on sicarius venom and very few bite reports. many unknown variables.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree.....my next question is: where can I get some? :D

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
you'll see them for sale occasionally. just have to keep your eyes peeled ;)

they really are fun, and pretty easy. but, with all "dangerous" critters, you just have to be smart about it and be responsible. these guys are cake though...

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, if my usually sharp eyes do not catch any that come up available in the near future, please keep me in mind if you see any yourself (or if you decide you have too many of your own, wink wink lol)....responsible is my middle name, and I would be ecstatic at the opportunity to observe these incredible spiders in the comfort of my home.

Since I've never seen them for sale, whats the typical market price for them?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Since I've never seen them for sale, whats the typical market price for them?
haha, i have NO idea {D i know there was a shipment from chile last year and somebody has bred them. haven't heard much else since.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gotcha....well, I'll keep my eyes peeled. Hopefully I'll come across some in the not-so-distant future.

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how about if they did an LD50 on dogs (which I do not want as I am a dog lover and ownner).
Atrax would then have a very figure.
We are humans and not mice so it is a bit different.

This bloke hasn't a clue, been being a pain in the butt on every UK forum and banned from everyone, he keeps these kind of Scorps and Spiders to boast and get attention very sad. :clap:

dnwise85

Arachnopeon
Recently captured Loxosceles reclusa

I recently captured a Loxosceles reclusa (last night in my room). I had in a container with the intent to release this weekend some where away from civilization. The only problem is when I checked it out today he was dead... It was in there for less than 12 hrs. Any ideas to how it died? In case this happens again I may want to keep some for a while.