My new B. Smithi!

SkyThing

Arachnopeon
After over a month of research and waiting, I finally have my B. Smithi 2" female :D! No pictures yet I'm afraid, I'll get some tomorrow, she had a lot of traveling yesterday so I want to give her a break. She's so adorable <3 I could waffle on about her cuteness for hours. I picked her up twice the day I got her, she's very friendly, I didn't see her flicking any hairs at me, she just looked a bit uncertain about the idea of being picked up at first. I named her Itsy Bitsy by the way, for multiple reasons: it'll be hilarious when she's an adult, It and Itsy are cute nicknames, and it comes from a nursery rhyme about a spider.

Being a first time owner though, I stupidly bare handedly picked up a leg that must've dropped off her shed exoskeleton when they cleaned it out...so I managed to get a U-hair stuck somewhere in my middle finger which I can't get out, oh well, you live and learn. The people at the KSU insect zoo recommended washing your hands or using tape to remove U-hairs, no idea if anybody has heard of those methods before, but wanted to throw that out there in case it ends up being useful. I'm going to feed her the annoying chirping cricket tonight, it's been a while since she molted so she should be good.

I was wondering though, the substrate I have in with her is very dry as it's been sitting out for ages (coconut fiber). I have a water dish in there for her (reasonably big, with pebbles in it to prevent drowning), does she need anything other than that to survive/ be comfortable?

Itsy made a little burrow already, she has a fish tank accessory as a hide (doesn't mold, costs about 10$ so is cheap, extremely lightweight so it won't crush her, almost no sharp edges and the remaining ones could be filed off). Plus it looks cool (it's a rusted over tank type thing). She's hiding by one of the holes in it and dug the substrate out of the way so she has a teeny tunnel, I can see her legs poking out, awwww.

Okay, enough of my rambling now :). Going to the insect zoo also gave me all sorts of ideas for new potential creepy crawlies for pets, uh oh! I'm officially addicted.

Sora

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like you have everything right. I'm assuming, from searching, that the place you went to is part of that university? If so, that's pretty cool. What else did they have there?

SkyThing

Arachnopeon
Yup, it is :) if I end up being a student there I can get a job at the insect zoo, woo! They had all sorts of things, countless tarantulas (behemoths I think, baboons, they had a cobalt blue, I'm really terrible at remembering names but they had a quite a few species of babies for sale), they also had birdeater spiders, which were extremely cool, and a lot of scorpions. Mantids, lots of roaches (deaths head, multiple species of the Madagascar hissing variety, cave roaches), velvet ants, stick insects, they'll be getting leaf cutter ants in few months!

violentblossom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aww, she's precious! <3 I really love B. smithis.

Seems like you have it all down pat. Kudos on keeping the substrate dry.. they're a Mexican species, and that's how they like their environments. Enjoy her! All in all, I think your set up looks good.

Whilst handling her, remember to keep her away from your face lest you get utricating hairs in your eyes which CAN cause blindness.

Also, keep her low to the ground because tarantulas can die from falls that wouldn't generally seem very high to you or I.

You seem to be someone who has done all of their research ahead of time, so way to go! You'll be a fine T owner.

SkyThing

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much :)! Right now I've been handling her right over a play pool I use for my hedgehog when I'm cleaning her cage, so she won't fall very far and if she escapes while I'm holding her then I'll be able to catch her again. Ok, I'm glad to hear the dry substrate is a good thing, I was worried about that.