My new B smithi climbed the side of the tank.

Delirious122

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, my mexican red knee just got rehoused from her container into the tank I want her in but now she is up on the side of the tank and won't come down. Is this just her not used to the place yet ? The substrate is to the liking of the species but she is still up there?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
As always, pictures help.

But that is 100% normal. Spiders will explore their enclosure from top to bottom after being rehoused, often taking weeks before settling down. Remember - if there is a way to escape, a spider will find it within 24 hours.

Delirious122

Arachnopeon
As always, pictures help.

But that is 100% normal. Spiders will explore their enclosure from top to bottom after being rehoused, often taking weeks before settling down. Remember - if there is a way to escape, a spider will find it within 24 hours.
There is no way to escape. She has been in her new house for about 3 hours now if that helps.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There is no way to escape. She has been in her new house for about 3 hours now if that helps.
I wasn't suggesting that there was. I was just illustrating how much a spider will wander over a short period of time.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
Imagine you're pretty much blind & have lived in one apartment your entire life. Then imagine being scooped up by an UFO & finding yourself in completely new living quarters. The tastesmell of everything is wrong, all your guide lines are gone & you've got to feel your way around to figure out what's what.

To make matters worse the carpet's been replaced by a thick layer of slightly damp cotton batten, "hmm, that'll take some getting used to," you think, "at least the walls feel the same, I'ma chillax here before I see if there's a way out."

Or at least that's what I imagine it would be like. :alien:D

Last edited:

Delirious122

Arachnopeon
That was the best little comparison i think ive ever read haha.

Last edited:

Timc

Arachnosquire
I've never rehoused a spider and it not climb the walls ad nauseam, terrestrial or otherwise. I just rehoused my B. emilia and G. pulchripes on Wednesday and both of them are still wandering around like they're going somewhere new, and I imagine tomorrow they'll be doing the same. If in a couple weeks the behavior hasn't changed then it's time to worry. Until then I have to just let them do their thing to get familiar with their new surroundings.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
A tarantula will explore its entire enclosure. Over and over and over and over, whether you see it or not. That includes anything they can get to.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Imagine you're pretty much blind & have lived in one apartment your entire life. Then imagine being scooped up by an UFO & finding yourself in completely new living quarters. The tastesmell of everything is wrong, all your guide lines are gone & you've got to feel your way around to figure out what's what.

To make matters worse the carpet's been replaced by a thick layer of slightly damp cotton batten, "hmm, that'll take some getting used to," you think, "at least the walls feel the same, I'ma chillax here before I see if there's a way out."

Or at least that's what I imagine it would be like. :alien:D
I love everything about this. Absolutely accurate, you get a banana sticker.

Also, tastesmell? Yes.