My new B. albo has laid an egg sac!!!!

Leila

Arachnobaron
Ok, everyone: I just purchased a B. albo this past Sunday at an exotic pet expo.

I am new to the hobby, and she is my 2nd of 3 Ts. I have researched my butt off, but I was/am not prepared for what my little Zoe just gave me: an egg sac! :) I am elated though. Who knew the T I wasn't even sure was a female would immediately produce a sac of baby Ts! :)

So...I need help from any and All of you who can instruct me on how to properly care for an egg sac. (I was interested in doing some breeding/care in the Future...I didn't know I'd be in this situation so soon though!)

I absolutely searched the forums here before typing out this inquiry, so please be civil and patient with me. :) I wanted to share my Personal excitement with everyone though! ❤

I was not sure she had a sac until Zoe (the fem B. albo momma) tore down most of the webbing from her hide tonight. Prior to an hour ago, I could hardly see inside there.

So...this is phenomenal. Again, I realize that I am a newbie; but please refrain from any condescending remarks. I simply need a bit of assistance and some shared excitement! :)

Last edited:

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Contact the dealer if possible and ask if she's been mated or if it's a wc. It could just be a phantom sac.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Contact the dealer if possible and ask if she's been mated or if it's a wc. It could just be a phantom sac.
Thank you for the quick response. :) I will contact the dealer tomorrow. :) If it is indeed a phnatom sac, all will be well. Perhaps that will be better, being that I am so ill-informed on how to tend to such things. But if Zoe's sac is in need of my help, I will do every bit of gaining the knowledge necessary for the eggs to survive. :)

Sana

Arachnoprince
Whether it's a phantom sac or a viable one it doesn't really need anything right now. Just leave it and mom as undistirbed as possible. She won't eat as lon as she's tending a sac so don't worry about that. It's honestly going to be a month before you have anything to do other then be excited and impatient. Yep been there. Still am.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Thanks everyone.
I am actually finding a TON of info now. 'Phantom egg sac' produces a lot of prior queries and answers. (I was not aware of their existence until Kayis responded in this thread.)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
oh boy, i believe Brachypelma albo are one of those that have like a thousand slings a sac or something.. something to be wary of..

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks!!! ❤

Btw, I just got off the phone with the dealer; he said it is Very possible that that egg sac is viable!!! I guess we will just wait and see
Does that mean it's a wild caught specimen?

Leila

Arachnobaron
oh boy, i believe Brachypelma albo are one of those that have like a thousand slings a sac or something.. something to be wary of..
Oh boy! Guess who was/is not prepared for this??? Haha!
Well, I have soooo much research to do...Andrea82, thank you so much for suggesting that thread. I will absolutely read it. :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The guy said some of the B. albos were housed together. ???? Well, ok....
He also said some of them were WC.
Housed together...what kind of person did you buy it from??
And do you know where the wild caught spiders came from? Honduras, Nicaragua?
B.albopilosum eggsac can contain like 1000 little eggs growing to slings :D
A few months ago there was another person on here with a gravid female and eggsac. She made a deal with the store she bought it from, taking care of mom and babies until returned for store credit. Although i wouldn't feel comfortable giving T's back to a person who houses them together...
Best of luck!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thanks!!! ❤

Btw, I just got off the phone with the dealer; he said it is Very possible that that egg sac is viable!!! I guess we will just wait and see
I'm really happy for you and I love your enthusiasm, Tennessee Lady (lol, I simply can't not think about Tarantino's Pulp Fiction) :-s

Leila

Arachnobaron
Housed together...what kind of person did you buy it from??
And do you know where the wild caught spiders came from? Honduras, Nicaragua?
B.albopilosum eggsac can contain like 1000 little eggs growing to slings :D
A few months ago there was another person on here with a gravid female and eggsac. She made a deal with the store she bought it from, taking care of mom and babies until returned for store credit. Although i wouldn't feel comfortable giving T's back to a person who houses them together...
Best of luck!
Right?? When he told me that, I was just kinda stupified for a moment. Then he said "there were only 2 in the enclosure." I did not ask for any more info on that topic... I would not feel comfortable giving slings back to that dealer either.
I am guessing Zoe is from Honduras. You guys know more than I. Here is a pic of her :)

Attachments

boina

Lady of the mites
I'm not an expert on albos, but that does look more like one from Nicaragua to me... Congratulations. If I was living in the USA I'd ask you for some slings :)

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Thanks!!! ❤

:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed: You're gonna be a granny. To hundreds of little ones. o_Oo_Oo_O