My new Aphonopelma seemani

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Interesting. Has anyone done any studies to see if there are any environmental factors that influence sex? For example, we know temp influences sex in turtles.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Interesting. Has anyone done any studies to see if there are any environmental factors that influence sex? For example, we know temp influences sex in turtles.

No, as that requires raising thousands of slings up to a sexable size. And it would have to be done for many species, as if there was a sex-related relationship with temps, it's highly unlikely it would apply across the board, since few other things do with tarantulas.

For a couple years my spider room was without a/c, and for April-Oct temps were daytime 90 to low 90's (every day) and nights around 80. With a/c, summer daytimes are 75-80 and nights in the low 70's. I haven't seen any change in sex ratios in slings I hatched out or bought, nor did I have a high ratio of males when the temps were high. Scratch that theory.

Tarantula sex ratios are driven by specific habitat factors: predation, the distance they have to travel to find mates, natural cover, and the population density of females. I don't see how temps would be a factor. A species needs 'X' percentage of males to impregnate mature females.

Likewise the number of slings from a sac and the size of the slings is a result of what works best in their habitat so that the most survive to adulthood to reproduce. Temps would have little relevance.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That is one lovely tarantula. I've been kicking around getting one of these, or an A. geniculata. I'm still undecided, but you might have pushed me a bit towards this species.