my mom vs acanthoscurria geniculata...round 1

Nathan Danger

Arachnopeon
I was just now about to order my second spider....(an immature female acanthoscurria geniculata) and my mom said "one is enough, i dont want to run the risk of them getting out and hurting us," so i replied "mom, they are harmless and it is unlikely it will even get out anyway"

after an hour of arguements i gave in and said that i would wait until i move out this summer (for college)

i guess its cool but it is a bummer...anyone else have family members that are completely unreasonable when it comes to their spider brothas and sistas....

also i understand if this thread should belong somewhere else like not spider related but i thought it was related enough to go in this section...i'm sorry if i was wrong...if i was wrong moderator...go ahead and do what you have to do...but know that i am sorry.

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yep, my mom is like that too ...

After 3 days of begging I was finally allowed to buy one. 2 Weeks later I bought my 2nd one without too much arguing... 3 Weeks later I bought no. 3, 4 and 5. She wasn't too happy with them, but she didn't want me to bring em back either. 2 Hours after intruducing the cute spideys to her, she fell in love with em, and it was all ok. 2 Weeks later again I got home with no. 6 and 7. Same with no. 3, 4 and 5 ... she loves em now!

I hope your mom is kinda like mine, and doesn't want you to return a cute little spidey ...

Anyway, good luck convincing one just won't do :).

Dennis

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive been buying them myself since i was 8 :p

my dad took me to pet shows and everything, over the last 10 years ive had all sorts, though i grew up with them as he bred snakes and stuff (im 18 now)

you gotta respect your mothers views though, if she doesnt want to see them, she wont see them (wink wink hide them wink wink)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lean on the educational value.
Remind her that the cat and dog are as likely to bite and more able to since they run around free. ( if of course you have any)
Lean on stress relief. I find ours Very relaxing to watch.
Motivate her to become more involved. Yell "OOOOoooooOOOOOo Mom you HAVE to Look at This isn't It Gorgeous. What one do you think looks the best."
Speaking from a parents point of view if you get one involved they are more likely to jump on your bandwagon.
Dispells myths for her, that they are Not out to get her or anyone else.
NO ARGUING.
Arguing Solves nothing but strengthening her dislike because of the "disturbing the family peace over this matter and stressing me out with arguments." leverage you give it.
Ask her if she minds sitting down with you, maybe take her out for a soda and descuss the issues. Find her fears, why, and dispell them in an adult and reasonable manner.
Parents arn't monsters or unreasonable.
It's our job to make sure our kids grow up safe. And trust me, ten more years form now she will still see you as a kid.
Introduce her to the beauty, grace and facinating behavior of T's.

And remember rule #1.
You catch more flies with sugar then you do with vinigar......

Yep.
Kiss up.
Do more chores.
Earn that bug that you want to be allowed in what is your mothers established territory.

Hope this helped..

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My sister was the only one in my family who had a problem with it but she never mattered anyways. I have lived on my own for years now so I have never had a problem since.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It didn't take my wife long to get used to the bugs. She was a little uneasy with one at first but within my first year of keeping the collection grew rapidly and she became as casual about it as anything. My first pede was a little different but by then I had bought my second house and made sure there were a couple extra rooms to spare. She doesn't go in the bug room much so out of sight, out of mind. Were (me and my oldest son) up to 60 inverts consisting of T's, Centipedes, Scorpions and a few true spiders, several sp. of which are pretty hot.

My mom though...well...on the bug issue, let's just say I'm glad she don't make the rules in my house. She's convinced that one of my bugs is going to kill someone someday. We are very careful to avoid the issue of bugs like the plague in the presence of my mother. ;)

Nathan, Nixy makes a good point as far as playing the "Inverts are educational" card. Especially if you can manage to involve a bug into a school project or something along those lines. Don't know how possible that that may be but it's just a suggestion. :)

Atrax

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My mom isn't that bad, but my dad hates spiders. He got bit by a brown recluse once, and now thinks all spiders are going to kill him. I keep my T's in my room away from them, and they don't mind. My mom actually felt bad about stepping on my rosie...I was amazed.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by pategirl
My mom isn't that bad, but my dad hates spiders. He got bit by a brown recluse once, and now thinks all spiders are going to kill him. I keep my T's in my room away from them, and they don't mind. My mom actually felt bad about stepping on my rosie...I was amazed.
Here's an interesting link about the dreaded Brown Recluse:

http://www.scienceblog.com/community/article488.html

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah, moms are your moms no matter how old you are

I have lived on my own since i was 17 and I havent had to ask for permission to own anything since,until now...with my boyfriend.
But my mom hated the fact that my husband had tarantulas, aggressive lizards, etc. She always had something to say about it and avoided them completely when she would come over. My ex was afraid of rats and hated cats. First thing i got when i got my divorce was two rats for my daughter, and I started fostering cats. I was respectul his fears when he was a part of my house, and well, okay..slightly defiant when he left.
My mom couldnt believe I got my son his tarantula, and when I carried out the tank to show her, she bolted out the backdoor. LOL.
So, now we avoid the subject. Completely. And I don't bring them out when she comes over.
In my house, I am not the one the kids have to convince to have a critter...ever. They know that and I hope they all grow up to give their kids the same experiences...also though, I hope they marry spouses who will give them the "adult supervision" they need and a voice to just say "NO" to adding more...and more and more and more...it provides a nice balance.:)

Nathan Danger

Arachnopeon
my mother and i haven't gotten along since i was in 5th grade...it wont change...however now that i'm 18 and since i am moving out i definately dont have such animosity as i used to towrds her because i dont have to put up with it...as far as the spider thing goes i have tried for weeks to reason with her...it isn't working...i'm gonna have to wait...but i do have to respect that it is her house and she doesn't want them here...i'm ok with it now...i was really upset earlier...anyway...thanks for the help though...