My MM b. smithi is shy or just does not care

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey all, wanted to post it here instead of breeding forums, hope that is ok...

I have had MM b. smithi before and all were very eager to attempt to hook up. So far, no success, but I have enjoyed the learning process and as long as the timing lines up, I figure might as well give it a go.

I have a fresh female that did pair once with a previous MM (several times) but I am not sure anything came of it. I just introduced this new MM to her (he matured 2-3 months ago and has been eating fine). Not a single tap from him, nothing. She kind of turned toward him but showed no interest either.

I did not want to push my luck so I just put them away. I do believe I see some remnants of a sperm web in his container, but it could be the old molting mat.

My question is whether or not some MM just show zero interest in females or pairing? I can understand a female not being receptive, but I thought it would be a no-brainer for the male to want to pair.

Both are eating great and temps are in the 80s.

Any ideas?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I've heard that putting some of the female's webbing in his container will get him to tap (pheromones possibly?) That said, I am not a breeder and you should take anything I say about it with a boulder of salt.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hey all, wanted to post it here instead of breeding forums, hope that is ok...

I have had MM b. smithi before and all were very eager to attempt to hook up. So far, no success, but I have enjoyed the learning process and as long as the timing lines up, I figure might as well give it a go.

I have a fresh female that did pair once with a previous MM (several times) but I am not sure anything came of it. I just introduced this new MM to her (he matured 2-3 months ago and has been eating fine). Not a single tap from him, nothing. She kind of turned toward him but showed no interest either.

I did not want to push my luck so I just put them away. I do believe I see some remnants of a sperm web in his container, but it could be the old molting mat.

My question is whether or not some MM just show zero interest in females or pairing? I can understand a female not being receptive, but I thought it would be a no-brainer for the male to want to pair.

Both are eating great and temps are in the 80s.

Any ideas?
How long ago was your female paired with the other male? You say they paired several times, he could have easily made an insertion. She may produce a viable sac from that pairing, unless she molted of course. If she hasn't molted do not continue trying to pair her, she just kill your new male.

It's probably a good thing you removed the male quickly if neither showed interest. Tapping is always a good sign, from both parties. If she often freezes or seems to approach in a predatory manner I would remove him. No point risking it until your certain that your female wasn't fertilized, he may live a considerable period seeing as he is a long lived species, no need to rush.

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She was hooking up with the other MM b. smithi about 4 months ago I believe. They paired a lot. Big time lovers. And it was a few months or less after her molt and he was fresh too. They were very into each other. But I don't know, I just don't think she's eating like a pig (sometimes she even ignores food), although she is nice size.

I made a video of one of their hook ups: https://youtu.be/KS6o7NGcH2k

They had several good pairings like this over the course of a few weeks so who knows.

badxwolf1203

Arachnopeon
My first MM Hapalopus sp Colombia was like that...after a couple months of trying to pair them he very awkwardly went for it.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
She was hooking up with the other MM b. smithi about 4 months ago I believe. They paired a lot. Big time lovers. And it was a few months or less after her molt and he was fresh too. They were very into each other. But I don't know, I just don't think she's eating like a pig (sometimes she even ignores food), although she is nice size.

I made a video of one of their hook ups:
They had several good pairings like this over the course of a few weeks so who knows.
Sounds like you have a gravid female there, no interest in food, successful pairing after a molt, no interest from either party, sounds as though they both knew there was no good reason to "hook up" you could be in for a nice surprise, keep us posted on any further developments.