My MM A. versicolor Doesn't have Tibial Hooks? ? ?

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There is a list some one posted on a forum, (it was probably posted here as well) that contained a list of species that lack tibial hooks/spurs. Any way none of the avicularia species were on the list, yet my mature male versi doesn't have any. The hooks on my A. avicularia where very prominent, but on the versi I see nothing. I can clearly make out emboli on the versi. Also according to the list Chilobrachys huahini should lack hooks, yet I distinctly remember mine having them. I'll see if the guy I sent him too can take a pic for me.

I have had a couple MMs with very tiny hooks like C. brachycephalous, and P chordatus, but again I can't make out anything on the A. versi. It makes sense to me that an A. versi would have them since A. avic has them. Also it would make sense that if my MM Chilobrachys fimbriatus doesn't have hooks, than my Chilobrachy huahini shouldnt have had any.

I'm thinkn maybe the person making the list figured if one specie didnt have have hooks that goes for the entire genus, and same for those that had them.
Or maybe I'm missing something :?

I have a copy of the list saved to my comp, but I'm guessing that would be against the rules if I were to post it. I figure it would be considered plagiarism.

Lorum

Arachnosquire
It makes sense to me that an A. versi would have them since A. avic has them.
Well, not really. For example, Avicularia diversipes, A. gamba and A. sooretama lack a tibial apophysis in males.;)

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can the emboli sometimes show up before they mature? As far as I know you can't see them until they are matured.

I'll see if I can get a good pic of the 1st legs, and the pedipalps.

sinflspeed

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can the emboli sometimes show up before they mature? QUOTE]

Never had that happen. Once emboli are present he is mature. It is impossible to grow spurs without a molt. The exoskeleton is hard and they don't continue to grow like fingernails on a person.

If you are coming out this weekend bring him with you.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can the emboli sometimes show up before they mature? As far as I know you can't see them until they are matured.
I was wondering that too. I know that they wouldn't actually have emboli until matured. However, I did have an immature male funnel weaver and the Tegenaria immature male I currently own has bulging pedipalps but no emboli or anything that's that complex. They look like shorter legs with fat at the ends (best I can describe it).

I know tarantulas have differences from true spiders but non of my males are this far along yet so I've never looked at a penultimate male tarantula's pedipalps.

toidy

Arachnosquire
we had 2 MM versicolors that did'nt have hooks..

Black Label Invertebrates

ArachnoCore
Old Timer
Interesting, one of my males matured out (11/17/10) and I can't see any tibial hooks on him...he does have emboli though...weird lol. :confused:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
we had 2 MM versicolors that did'nt have hooks..
They had hooks.....they usually are no visible, more of a bump than a hook but are classified as hooks.:D

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I took my Deceased MM Versi and shaved the hair off & these are pics of the hooks:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avicularia versicolor do possess tibial hooks, though they are small, 1/4 inch usually. Avicularia diversipes, Avicularia gamba, and Avicularia sooretama are the only Avicularia species that do not possess tibial hooks, to the best of my knowledge.