my millipede won’t stop eating

balddogtwoleg

Arachnopeon
i have another millipede issue, i got her a couple days ago and i fed her carrots on the first day. she absolutely loved them and devoured them. but when i removed them i didn’t see her eat a single thing for the next day, and i was worried that she wasn’t eating so i put more in there and she now won’t stop eating the carrot, i’ve tried to pry her off of it and she’ll immediately go back, she’ll fall asleep on it and then wake up and continue eating. is this possibly harmful? or should i stop worrying so much and let her eat her leaves and stuff

also she doesn’t go underground she just sleeps upsidown on this piece of bark i propped up on the side of her tank. she is an ivory though so that might be why

Braden

Arachnoknight
I don't know much about myriapods. If I had a theory, herbivores have food basically all around them 24/7, so I think they have a pretty good sense of when to stop. Also, herbivores? Omnivores? Like I said, I don't know much lol. I think it's A-OK

marsdex

Arachnopeon
Sounds like a healthy millipede to me. Keep leaves as well as some vegetables available and let them eat as much as they want! It's pretty cute when they fall asleep in their food.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I don't know much about myriapods. If I had a theory, herbivores have food basically all around them 24/7, so I think they have a pretty good sense of when to stop. Also, herbivores? Omnivores? Like I said, I don't know much lol. I think it's A-OK
The are detrivores (barring a few anomalies), ha ha.

i have another millipede issue, i got her a couple days ago and i fed her carrots on the first day. she absolutely loved them and devoured them. but when i removed them i didn’t see her eat a single thing for the next day, and i was worried that she wasn’t eating so i put more in there and she now won’t stop eating the carrot, i’ve tried to pry her off of it and she’ll immediately go back, she’ll fall asleep on it and then wake up and continue eating. is this possibly harmful? or should i stop worrying so much and let her eat her leaves and stuff

also she doesn’t go underground she just sleeps upsidown on this piece of bark i propped up on the side of her tank. she is an ivory though so that might be why
So long as you are providing the other necessary food items (rotting leaves and wood) I don't see why this would appear to be a problem.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

TooManyCooks

Arachnopeon
millipedes are essentially grazers. I have 3 wild caught Tylobolus castaneus that do this exact same thing but with sheets of moss. As long as they have access to rotting leaves, wood, and other organic materials, i wouldn't worry too much.