my mexican redknee was flipped over!!!

obamaclayson

Arachnopeon
I have a mexican redknee tarantula, and I found it flipped on its back; im not sure how it got like that. I flipped it over. It is not dead. will it be ok??? what can I do to prevent this from happening? it is around 10 months of age. This is my first tarantula and i love it, and want the best for it.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I like to use positive reinforcement with my T's where i give them a cricket once i flip them back over ; this way they associate being the right way up with being fed.

I'm not raising any of my T's to think it's right to just curl up in a ball as soon as things get tough and i strongly advise you do the same.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Tarantulas molt on their back, you never want to touch them when they are doing so or you may just kill it. You may have just killed it.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A tarantula on its back is almost always due to a molt. During that phase, they are extremely vulnerable. If it flips back again, leave it be. In the meantime, I would suggest reading up on basic tarantula husbandry. Tom Moran is a really good source if you prefer visual aid.

You should post a picture of the spider and the setup. Unless it's a tiny sling, it is most likely much, MUCH older than 10 months of age. Good luck !

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a mexican redknee tarantula, and I found it flipped on its back; im not sure how it got like that. I flipped it over. It is not dead. will it be ok??? what can I do to prevent this from happening? it is around 10 months of age. This is my first tarantula and i love it, and want the best for it.
Maybe not- it was molting

How come you don’t know one of the basic behaviors of this animal that you claim to love?

If you don’t research this animal and its husbandry give it away now.

Last edited: