My mexican red rump.

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
So, I have a mexican red rump sling. He went into the hiding place I made for him and made a borrow and he hasn't came out for about 3 weeks. He even molted down their! He hasn't came out for food or anything I put flightless fruit flies in their and they seem to disappear. Whats weird is I haven't seen him out for a long time. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thank you!

Devin B

Arachnobaron
In my opinion fruit flys are about useless and can hide to easily. I would put a prekilled crickets or mealworm near the entrance of the burrow. If your T is hungry it will find that no problem.

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
In my opinion fruit flys are about useless and can hide to easily. I would put a prekilled crickets or mealworm near the entrance of the burrow. If your T is hungry it will find that no problem.
Wouldn't that be to big? How would my 1cm sling be able to eat that?

Devin B

Arachnobaron
You can chop them up into small bits. Also when my B. Hamorii was a tiny second instar (about 1/4-1/2inch) Ileft a medium sized cricket in its enclosure and it ate what it could without a problem. Also if the prey item is opened up by pre killing it, your T won't have any trouble finding the soft spot.

This also worked for my A. Genic (1/4 inch)

Sorry im not familiar with cm. I think 1/4 inch is about 1cm.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
You can chop them up into small bits. Also when my B. Hamorii was a tiny second instar (about 1/4-1/2inch) Ileft a medium sized cricket in its enclosure and it ate what it could without a problem. Also if the prey item is opened up by pre killing it, your T won't have any trouble finding the soft spot.

This also worked for my A. Genic (1/4 inch)

Sorry im not familiar with cm. I think 1/4 inch is about 1cm.
The B. Hamorii im talking about is the spidering in my profile picture.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Thank you im happy to help. This same sling burrowed for 5 months so the weeks is no big deal.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
It gets addicting really fast. Especially when you go to reptile exos amd find new tarantulas for $2 or when you see that P. Cambridgei in the classifieds that you wamt really badly for only $4 but you dont want to buy a 4 dollor spider and pay $35 for shipping then suddenly you own 5 tarantulas now...

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
If its prekilled and not chopped up, theyll just leave what they cant eat. Thats how my 1/4 inch sling was when i tested it a couple times. Now its twice as big and makes small crickets disappear almost magically. A. geniculata are cute little magicians at that size.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Yeah, just leave the sling alone. I always figure a burrowed sling is a happy sling -- nice and snug and feeling safe in it's burrow.
When I was a newbie, it helped I had an adult female G rosea -- because she was always out and about -- gave me something to look at while the tiny slings were hidden 75% of the time.

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
Yeah, It kinda sucks when you can't see it! By the way, Is stress dangerous for a tarantula? Sometimes I get worried if I mess with his little hide too much I might over stress him. Is that a big deal? I probably won't be messing with it again for a while till his next molt.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Yeah, It kinda sucks when you can't see it! By the way, Is stress dangerous for a tarantula? Sometimes I get worried if I mess with his little hide too much I might over stress him. Is that a big deal? I probably won't be messing with it again for a while till his next molt.
The less you disturb your sling, the less stress - so the better. I don't have studies proving stress will kill a T or anything -- but obviously disruptions make a T less secure and safe feeling in his own home. I figure Ts view all intruders as either prey or predator -- so I don't want to make my T feel like it's being constantly confronted by a predator (me). Just my opinion.

I try to only disturb mine for feeding, water bowl refills, general maintenance (bolus removal, perhaps a wall wipe down for excessive poop).

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
Gotcha. That's pretty much what I do. Anyway, well thanks again for the help! I'm definitely know a lot more about what I'm doing now with my T. :D