My Martinique has a bald butt...

PrettyInInk87

Arachnopeon
My question is, do the eventually grow their hairs out and cover the bald spot? I have looked at her closely and have noticed hairs but when I look at her she has a round area that looks like a greyish color and a lot lighter than the rest of her body. She is beautiful and very colorful but would love for that spot to go away. I just got her a few days ago from someone who didn't want her and a Mexican Red Knee. She gave me both for free... I'm in love. Lol! Also, how often should I feed her and how many crickets? I have fed her lots and got a little carried away since she is an excellent hunter and eater. Love watching her eat. She is my favorite... Stays out all the time and is pretty active. = ) On the other hand, my Mexican Red Knee doesn't seem very interested in eating and stays in his hide all the time. He looks pretty thin but not sure if that is the way he is supposed to look. I have a heat pad under him, should I pull it off? He seems to like it but i've read that T's don't need a heat source.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those hairs that it's missing are called urticaring hairs, they are a defense mechanism. Avicularia rub their abdomen against the "threat" or whatever is bothering them. They are meant to irritate whatever they touch. Avicularia don't kick them off like other Ts, but I think I read somewhere versi's can :? The hairs will come back after it molts. As far as feeding goes one or two crickets a week is fine for both of them. And remove the heating pad, Ts are fine at room temp and if you must use it do not have it on the bottom, put it on the side. That way they have a choice of getting away from the heat if it becomes too much. Post some pics of your spiders and setup :D

Great deal you got, take care of them, and good luck

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First of, welcome to the arachnoboards!

That grayish area doesen't go away and all versicolors with adult colours have them. Even if it looks like its just a "bald" gray spot it actually has lots of hairs there. Spiders "bald" spot looks like normal skin when it misses its hair.

B. smithi isn't just hungry or maybe it is premolting time. Mine ate LOTS before she went into premolt state. My versicolor on other hand ate just a little before last molt but now she is really good moth, cricket, malworm, superworm and roach killer. One more thing, males eat a bit less than females, but thats not always the case.

You can feed once or twice a week both of them or you can powerfeed them if you wish. But I would prefer 1-2 a week. :)

Also, remove the heatpad, put it on the side or better yet, get a heating cable on one of the side of the enclosure.

PrettyInInk87

Arachnopeon
Wow, thank you SO much for your help and advice. I opened an account on arachnophiles and totally forgot about his one. SORRY! :eek: I'll try and be active on this one as well. ;) Lots has gone on with my T's and am now up to 7 beauties! Cannot be happier with them all and looking to add more to the collection. Pictures? :}

afs rock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
please have pictures please have pictures please have pictures :drool:

PrettyInInk87

Arachnopeon
Hahah! If pictures is what you want, pictures it is... Lol!

My newest little girl "Sasha"

Older larger B. auratum. I found out "he" is actually a she so I need to change her name. She had a bad molt and is why her butt looks funny.

Right after her molt,

and a few days later...

AND about a month later.

"Rosy"

"Arachinia"

Female G. rosea
(not pictured)

"Tiger"

"Bitsy"

PrettyInInk87

Arachnopeon
Lol! Yeah, it looked pretty gross for a while but now just looks like a big scab. She's still a beauty!

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like someone said, all versicolor females have that! Yours is a beauty! Mine is 4", and I can NEVER stop drooling at them.. And for the auratum; She apparently had some kind of bad molt, as you stated. Looks very well fed and healthy though!

PrettyInInk87

Arachnopeon
Oh yeah, I sort of figured that out about my versicolor. Looking back at the post it was such a stupid question. Lol! They were both my first T's... I didn't want to start a new thread so just kept on with this one. Lol! Thank you!:D

Apparently she thought she was ready to kick her molt off...

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did her abdomen stay on her when she was done molting? If careful, you could have tried to pull it off right after, so it would just slide off.. But its to late now! :wall:

Lorum

Arachnosquire
If careful, you could have tried to pull it off right after, so it would just slide off..
Even if made carefully, that would have been too risky. It is better to try and use some kind of lubricating fluid (usually warm water works fine).

PrettyInInk87

Arachnopeon
Even if made carefully, that would have been too risky. It is better to try and use some kind of lubricating fluid (usually warm water works fine).
What I did was mist warm water on her very lightly, just a quick spritz. She was walking around with the molt stuck to her for a while but I didn't want to bother her so just left it until it came off on it's own. Again, she's fine now, her abdomen has hardened, and is eating. Very active as always.:D

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

awesome ts
Thank you! :)

Well guess what? My new girl I first though was B. auratum actually IS B. smithi... Damn my untrained eyes! I'm trading my 3 inch female B. auratum today becasue I thought my new girl was a B. auratum. :8o

PrettyInInk87

Arachnopeon
I actually did a nice trade today... I got a nice G. pulchra, nice arboreal cage, and 50 dollars. At first I was nervouse but overall am happy. I guess my new girl is a B. auratum but eh, I don't know.