My LP did something totally wierd.

jeryst

Arachnopeon
I buy crickets in a small box at the LPS. When I bring them home, I open the side of the box, and put the whole thing inside a small Kritter Keeper. That way, when some of the crickets venture out, I remove the box, and dump the crickets into the LPs enclosure directly from the KK, which eliminates me handling them.

Last night, when I was removing the box, a piece of cricket food, that looks like a piece of pretzel or hard bread, fell into the LPs enclosure. I planned on just letting the crickets jump out of the KK, but one stubborn one made me shake the KK, and in the process, the piece of cricket food fell into the LPs enclosure.

He immediately began rounding up all of the crickets, as he normally does, so I didnt want to disturb him right then. He hunts them all down, then eats them in one big bunch. I figured I would just wait until later, when he was finishing up his meal, and then remove the piece of bread.

Well, it took me a little longer to get back to the cage than I had planned, but when I got there, he had already finished the crickets, and to my amazement, he picked up the piece of bread, and began to eat it as well. He devoured the whole thing. I dont know if it will hurt him or not, but I have never heard of a T eating anything other than living creatures, and especially something that is not "meat".

Has anyone else ever heard of or seen such a thing? Is it possible that T's in the wild will eat plants occasionally? Or is my LP such a pig that he will eat anything that is not substrate? He does have a ravenous appetite, and will eat as many crickets as I put in, even if I put in a dozen (Found that out the hard way as well - lol).

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I've read Ts have been known to take grapes, so yeah, they will take other food that isn't meat if they have the opportunity. That said, I don't think you should be feeding your spider fruits and veggies, cheese and bread and all that:eek: You never know what effect it could have on them, since they aren't designed to eat such things.

Would you believe that slings will readily accept fishfood?
I've tried it with my C. fimbriatus sling, and he chowed down on some "betta bites"! I've no doubt he would take a piece of soggy pretzel/bread too if I gave him the chance.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I think the item that is given (i.e. the grape) has moisture and they eat it as well as utilizing the moisture content of the item

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
This gave me a good laugh! {D especially with all this B. "vegans" talk lately. :rolleyes: (Its really B. vagans) Maybe thats why people find spiders in imported grapes? :p

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i can understand the grape thing for moisture, but i am wondering if maybe your LP is doing what my smithi and vagans do when i see them "munching" on their corkbark (not really eating at all). i usually just find the remnants incorporated into their latest enclosure rennovation.

jeryst

Arachnopeon
i can understand the grape thing for moisture, but i am wondering if maybe your LP is doing what my smithi and vagans do when i see them "munching" on their corkbark (not really eating at all). i usually just find the remnants incorporated into their latest enclosure rennovation.
No, he was actually consuming it. I watched him do it. And was dry and hard as a rock, so it doesnt have any moisture content.