My little LP finally looks the part!

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Got a juv L parahybana (Salmon pink birdeater) from Reclusa a couple of months back. He was kind of a brownish color, not much to look at. Busy little guy, always rearranging everything. Didn't like his hide, didn't like his (well, his or her) dish, etc, etc. Finally I took everything out, gave him a new hide. THAT he liked, and he calmed down. Still did some rearranging, but not as frantic as before.

He (or she) molted over the weekend! Suddenly, he looks like an LP and not just another brown spider! And grew significantly - from about 3" to over 3.75" legspan.

Right after I first got him/her"

Last week, premolt (he stopped eating, so I figured he was going to molt soon).

This morning (a couple of days after molt). Pretty T!

Marga

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice!

One of my most fav species......My girl is preparing for 1st molt in the 1 1/2 years I've had her......she is currently 9"+ and layed one sack, and "baby-sat" an 8" Mommy's sack. What a good Mommy :D

Can you see if yours is a female from the exuvium now :razz:

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Nope, no sexing from the molt. I never manage to get good abdomen pieces. Lovely legs, carapace caps, torn, twisted abdomens. I've thought of this one as "him", but perhaps next time we'll see. Still a juv, not half the size of my new LP, the 7-legged rescue, Fandango.

Marga

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Hmmm I think I need to rehouse my LP. I was just starting to worry about him/her because it hasn't eaten in a week. It just molted right before I bought it at the expo last month and it's never shown any sign of being the voracious eater that everyone says theirs is. :\ Hopefully a bigger enclosure and providing a hide will help reduce any stress my T is under.

Thanks!!! I'm off to get some supplies to make Chocolate (my LP) a better home. :D

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice looking spider! I got an L. parahybana about 2 weeks ago and s/he is ~2 or 2.5 inches; can't wait till s/he gets a little bigger after a molt. Seeing a quick-growing species such as this attain their eventual giant size will surely be a treat. Mine is also a busy-body. Talk about a burrower...her dirt path starts under the hide and stretches almost the entire length of the 10 gal. terrarium. The substrate is about 3-3.5 inches deep too, so this was quite the undertaking. S/he spends more time chilling by the outside of the entrance as opposed to actually in the labyrinth, but s/he'll run into it quicker than lightning sometimes.

k2power

Arachnoknight
That is pretty good growth. Mine didn't grow that much and was about the same size. It also took 2 weeks before starting to eat again. Now it eats all the time. It also likes to play King of the Mountain on its hide. Was on vermiculite and now cocunut fiber thinking it didn't like vermiculite. Now i guess it just likes the mountain.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yet another Tarantula I would like to own! LP are a very pretty, and very BIG T's :). I wish someone would put some 3" females up for sale for a decent price :'(.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Got a juv L parahybana (Salmon pink birdeater) from Reclusa a couple of months back. He was kind of a brownish color, not much to look at. Busy little guy, always rearranging everything. Didn't like his hide, didn't like his (well, his or her) dish, etc, etc. Finally I took everything out, gave him a new hide. THAT he liked, and he calmed down. Still did some rearranging, but not as frantic as before.

He (or she) molted over the weekend! Suddenly, he looks like an LP and not just another brown spider! And grew significantly - from about 3" to over 3.75" legspan.

Right after I first got him/her"

Last week, premolt (he stopped eating, so I figured he was going to molt soon).

This morning (a couple of days after molt). Pretty T!

Marga
What was the size of your LP when you got it? I have a mystery T and it looks like the first picture. Its around 1.25 in

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I've only had Pernabuco (the LP) for a couple of months. Got him from Reclusa earlier this summer at the reptile expo. He was just at 3" legspan. He was pretty much that plain brown the entire time until molt.

Start a thread with pix of your unknown?

Marga

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Monday Pernambuco molted. He's now mature, and an honest 6" DLS. I know this since he's in a 6x9" KK, and his legs are touching the sides (short-side-to-side). (In this photo his hind legs are not stretched out, but he was earlier!) I have a 7" LP which I am pretty sure is female, will give him some time to feed and spin, whilst I fatten her up, then give it a try.

Marga