My little avic avic doesn't want to eat

Octa

Arachnosquire
Ooook
The vial is neatly set up, with a bush of moss for humidity.
Everything's perfect, temperatures are about 79-83 fahrenheit during the day and 75 at night.
S/he is getting darker and darker ( I know its a premolt behavior), but I heard
stories about how sensitive these are and how they just die out of nowhere. :?
S/he has been in its tube for weeks now and hasn't touched a cricket ever since.
Molt? Death?Sober?Not so sober? Enjoying its free time?

Octa

Arachnosquire
its fairly big, bushy and i noticed it has a few pinkish hairs as well.
The abdomen is completely black with some stripes on it.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
its fairly big, bushy and i noticed it has a few pinkish hairs as well.
The abdomen is completely black with some stripes on it.
I think he's wanting to know how big and well-hydrated the abdomen looks as opposed to color. However, it sounds as though the T is fine.

Octa

Arachnosquire
I think he's wanting to know how big and well-hydrated the abdomen looks as opposed to color. However, it sounds as though the T is fine.
How do you check if its well-hydrated ?
But the abdomen looks quite big.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
How do you check if its well-hydrated ?
But the abdomen looks quite big.
That's pretty much how - - if it were dehydrated, the abdomen would start to shrivel and get wrinkled.

Edit: never mind - - that would be for an adult T - - in a sling, I don't think you'd be able to notice that.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Spiderlings can shrivel up too, it's just harder to notice since everything is smaller.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ooook
The vial is neatly set up, with a bush of moss for humidity.
Everything's perfect, temperatures are about 79-83 fahrenheit during the day and 75 at night.
S/he is getting darker and darker ( I know its a premolt behavior), but I heard
stories about how sensitive these are and how they just die out of nowhere. :?
S/he has been in its tube for weeks now and hasn't touched a cricket ever since.
Molt? Death?Sober?Not so sober? Enjoying its free time?
Out of the hundreds of avicularia slings we have or have had,only 1 just upped and died for no apparent reason....They are much hardier than many believe.I think most that croak on people had owners that were always worried about them,and took too much care of them,if that makes any sense to you whatsoever.Set them up,keep them fed and hydrated,and forget about them IMHO........Your spider is GOING to molt SOON,so leave it alone,don't fret over it,and let it do it's thing. It knows what it is doing ;)

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Out of the hundreds of avicularia slings we have or have had,only 1 just upped and died for no apparent reason....They are much hardier than many believe.I think most that croak on people had owners that were always worried about them,and took too much care of them,if that makes any sense to you whatsoever.Set them up,keep them fed and hydrated,and forget about them IMHO........Your spider is GOING to molt SOON,so leave it alone,don't fret over it,and let it do it's thing. It knows what it is doing ;)
I LIKE.

I have a Avic Avic also about 2 inches idk if thats still a sling or not im new to the hobby. But i haven't had a problem with her eating. Got her in December as a Christmas gift. Octa im sure your spider will be just fine give it time.

nesok

Arachnopeon
My juvenile Versi fell from the top of his enclosure to the coco-fiber, and instantly ran back up to the same spot he fell from without a crack or mark on him. And believe me, I looked. The next morning, the poor little guy was dead. If I hadn't actually seen the fall, which wasn't that high or hard, I would have had no idea what caused the death.

After that I began to think that many avic deaths "for no reason" were because of a fall or something similar that just wasn't witnessed.

Give your little guy time and he'll be wearing a new suit for you. ;)

k2power

Arachnoknight
I recently had an Avic Avic die. It was a juvenile from a pet shop that never seemed to settle in. It never ate well and when it did if often killed prey to later discard it mostly uneaten. It started developing a shrunken abdomen and eventually got stuck in a molt and died. I also have a Peruvian purple Avic that is doing great. I have had a few problems with this species and believe that they are a little more difficult than many other species, possibly from a parasite load or some other stressor. Many available are wild caught and they may just get stressed very easily and never settle down. It is almost a relief that it died in that I no longer worry about it. Not the outcome I wanted but after a while it seemed more likely.

Octa

Arachnosquire
Yep....Today it molted :D.
The beauty has grown a little too ( I haven't seen it out of its tube for weeks).

Oh and what should I watch out for when raising these guys?
Make sure that the height isn't too high?