My leeches:D

Adzk187

Arachnopeon
78CC68C4-3DC4-4B33-A9CA-186B8977D374.jpeg
*blood warning*
Hi all, new to this site. I would like to introduce my leeches! I have 3 European medicinal leeches (Hirudo Verbana) and 3 Giant Asian Buffalo leeches (Hirudineria Manillensis) they are my beloved pets! If anyone would like to ask any questions then feel free to do so:) 7844D5FA-1EBD-4E00-8CF1-C54A7CA11338.jpeg

Attachments

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
I was about to ask how you feed them but then I saw your feet... Very interesting animals though

Adzk187

Arachnopeon
I was about to ask how you feed them but then I saw your feet... Very interesting animals though
Mhm they truly are! Although of course this is my preferred method of feeding, costs nothing and is easy (well, if they’re not being stubborn about latching on lol) but other methods can include feeding them with a sausage skin/condom filled with bovine blood, no pig blood or blood that contains thinners as it can be lethal. Another option is household pets which ehh, I wouldn’t really do myself.

Adzk187

Arachnopeon
Seems kinda… bad for you though?
I can see why you’d think that lol, I know it looks gory but having leeches feed off of you can actually be beneficial! Most people don’t even know that they’ve been used in the medical world since the Egyptian times - and are still used in hospitals today! Leeches are lifesavers:) I recommend reading up on it. Also, if youre thinking “but what if they drink too much blood”, well leeches only consume a relatively small amount of blood, no where close to being dangerous. The only time leeches may be unsafe is if they are leeches caught from the wild, then yes they could have parasites in their saliva, it’s not recommended letting wild caught leeches feed on you, but other than that there is virtually no risk at all. The leeches I have are all from private breeders which have been raised in clean environments and have only ever fed off of me:)

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
Mhm they truly are! Although of course this is my preferred method of feeding, costs nothing and is easy (well, if they’re not being stubborn about latching on lol) but other methods can include feeding them with a sausage skin/condom filled with bovine blood, no pig blood or blood that contains thinners as it can be lethal. Another option is household pets which ehh, I wouldn’t really do myself.
That's interesting! I never actually knew leaches where kept in captivity until today :)

ThatOneInvertNoob

Arachnopeon
I can see why you’d think that lol, I know it looks gory but having leeches feed off of you can actually be beneficial! Most people don’t even know that they’ve been used in the medical world since the Egyptian times - and are still used in hospitals today! Leeches are lifesavers:) I recommend reading up on it. Also, if youre thinking “but what if they drink too much blood”, well leeches only consume a relatively small amount of blood, no where close to being dangerous. The only time leeches may be unsafe is if they are leeches caught from the wild, then yes they could have parasites in their saliva, it’s not recommended letting wild caught leeches feed on you, but other than that there is virtually no risk at all. The leeches I have are all from private breeders which have been raised in clean environments and have only ever fed off of me:)
Oh, okay! That’s really interesting! :D

jc55

Arachnoknight
I have heard of the medical leeches being used before but can honestly say that i was unaware that you could purchase them privately.Interesting.

Adzk187

Arachnopeon
I have heard of the medical leeches being used before but can honestly say that i was unaware that you could purchase them privately.Interesting.
Just need to find the right people lol. There are a number of sellers in various parts of the world, if you are interested!