My l parahybana

Dodgypill

Arachnopeon
It is my first T so just looking for advice cant find anything on the web .... when I'm holding it it webs literally all over my hands which causes a slight spook when I change hands and it snaps the line. Is this webbing behaviour a good thing ,bad or just behaviour

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
How is the behavior within the enclosure? My A. avicularia would try to poop in my face, IF I tried handling it... so that's not a good indicator. Tarantulas do not enjoy the act of handling and usually try to get away after feeling human skin under them. And to be fair, I would have the same reaction, if a giant picked me up.

Is there any cause for concern while it is in the enclosure? Webbing in general is a very normal thing for all species.

Dodgypill

Arachnopeon
Great in enclosure only got her Wednesday so still settling in but considering im frequently opening tank and interacting with it ive never seen it kick hairs once seems happy and confident.. doesnt use the burrow

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Fair warning: There are lots of people on this forum that are strictly against handling - and with good reason. Ts are more delicate than one might think and there are many, many threads about accidents during handling. Just don´t be surprised if you get a few rough replies regarding this topic.

Personally, I would recommend you to let it settle in for a few weeks. I saw in your other thread that it didn't eat yet and molted last monday? Rehoused tarantulas take some time getting used to the new environment and the handling could very well prolong that time. Let it settle in and it will likely settle and also start eating.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
It is my first T so just looking for advice cant find anything on the web .... when I'm holding it it webs literally all over my hands which causes a slight spook when I change hands and it snaps the line. Is this webbing behaviour a good thing ,bad or just behaviour
And here I thought we had a new member who - judging by the really nice enclosure - had done his/her research... :rolleyes:

You shouldn't be handling your T at all... and especially not a freshly moulted one. It has no benefit for your T whatsoever, but all the risks of hurting it.

I strongly recommend reading this thread: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/

Dodgypill

Arachnopeon
Fair warning: There are lots of people on this forum that are strictly against handling - and with good reason. Ts are more delicate than one might think and there are many, many threads about accidents during handling. Just don´t be surprised if you get a few rough replies regarding this topic.

Personally, I would recommend you to let it settle in for a few weeks. I saw in your other thread that it didn't eat yet and molted last monday? Rehoused tarantulas take some time getting used to the new environment and the handling could very well prolong that time. Let it settle in and it will likely settle and also start eating.

Yes it moulted monday but got shipped wednesday, luckily it arrived healthy and in a good mood .yeah i totally agree about the danger although when I do handle,i keep my hands only a few inches of the floor im actually pretty scared of them and its kind of an exposure thing. I intend to stop doing this once it reaches around 5 inches as ive read the damage risk drastically increases every time they get heavier.
Also i was thinking the other if it is at all posible that by interacting before it has time to adjust properly could change its mood forever. I don't want that as it hasn't bolted or flicked hairs once, very calm spider

And here I thought we had a new member who - judging by the really nice enclosure - had done his/her research... :rolleyes:

You shouldn't be handling your T at all... and especially not a freshly moulted one. It has no benefit for your T whatsoever, but all the risks of hurting it.

I strongly recommend reading this thread: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/
Maybe it's a new keeper thing , i understand handling is a taboo subject so i won't mention it again. I think I could never ask all the questions i have.so my main concern is behaviour , how do i know if its happy , healthy,hungry what everyone seems to understand there individuals yet how can i when I don't yet know the full personality... just worried about it ,I'm always looking over towards the enclosure see if its alrite

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Maybe it's a new keeper thing , i understand handling is a taboo subject so i won't mention it again. I think I could never ask all the questions i have.so my main concern is behaviour , how do i know if its happy , healthy,hungry what everyone seems to understand there individuals yet how can i when I don't yet know the full personality... just worried about it ,I'm always looking over towards the enclosure see if its alrite
The biggest headaches are the ones we give ourselves.Especially as new keepers, we tend to overthink way too much. You have built a great enclosure and that's a better start than most new keepers give to their new pets. The personality of a T is mainly based on instincts and reflexes. I'll leave you with a nice excerpt from an (non-scientific) article that most will agree with:

"While tarantulas are fascinating animals with more centralized brains than most other arthropods, scientists suspect that tarantulas are not particularly intelligent. Though some may develop unique behavior patterns that approach the definition of “personalities," they do not learn to recognize their keepers or alter their behavior based on who is holding them. Accordingly, your tarantula will always consider you a potential predator, regardless of how gentle you are and how often you handle him." Link to article

Dodgypill

Arachnopeon
The biggest headaches are the ones we give ourselves.Especially as new keepers, we tend to overthink way too much. You have built a great enclosure and that's a better start than most new keepers give to their new pets. The personality of a T is mainly based on instincts and reflexes. I'll leave you with a nice excerpt from an (non-scientific) article that most will agree with:

"While tarantulas are fascinating animals with more centralized brains than most other arthropods, scientists suspect that tarantulas are not particularly intelligent. Though some may develop unique behavior patterns that approach the definition of “personalities," they do not learn to recognize their keepers or alter their behavior based on who is holding them. Accordingly, your tarantula will always consider you a potential predator, regardless of how gentle you are and how often you handle him." Link to article
Pretty cool , makes alot of sense .... she's been walking all over the enclosure today , starting to settle i think

ArachniMarc

Arachnopeon
A tarantula's "personality" will change every moult........ oftentimes becoming a polar opposite of itself.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Also i was thinking the other if it is at all posible that by interacting before it has time to adjust properly could change its mood forever. I don't want that as it hasn't bolted or flicked hairs once, very calm spider
My B. hamorii is living proof that tarantulas don't become "docile" with handling, when I first got her (this was back when I was a noob and thought handling was something that was required of a tarantula keeper) she was ridiculously calm (never kicked hairs/bolted, she was practically catatonic) right up until just after her second moult in my care, she's greeted me like this ever since.

38843100_2262499517096808_297946962269831168_o.jpg 69813706_2915667178446702_2724516820659732480_o.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
bad or just behaviour
You holding a T is BAD behavior.

Also, they don't more docile by holding them, they are not like some reptiles.

Laying down silk is a normal process for Ts in or out of a cage.

Here's an example of when people do stupid things with exotic wild animals

Dodgypill

Arachnopeon
Haha I don't have a fireplace and dont claim they calm when handled .... does a snake "like" to be handled , probably not but everyone does it . Not sure if its this thread but i said I do sit on the floor so its no higher than a few inches of the ground and I also have no intention of handling it once its at a weight where it could be killed if it fell ... I understand how most people feel about this but all owners have handled a t at least once before right ?

My B. hamorii is living proof that tarantulas don't become "docile" with handling, when I first got her (this was back when I was a noob and thought handling was something that was required of a tarantula keeper) she was ridiculously calm (never kicked hairs/bolted, she was practically catatonic) right up until just after her second moult in my care, she's greeted me like this ever since.

View attachment 339339 View attachment 339340
Yeah I read they cam change from moult to moult... very pretty though ,so vibrant

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Here's an example of when people do stupid things with exotic wild animals

Jesus, that thread is one wild ride... thanks for linking it! Made for a nice bedtime story :rofl:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha I don't have a fireplace and dont claim they calm when handled .... does a snake "like" to be handled , probably not but everyone does it . Not sure if its this thread but i said I do sit on the floor so its no higher than a few inches of the ground and I also have no intention of handling it once its at a weight where it could be killed if it fell ... I understand how most people feel about this but all owners have handled a t at least once before right ?
It's just an example, there are many others. Notice though, mood of T was fine, but during that session it change for some reason.

I can't read the mind of my snakes. But I can feel/notice their body posture. Do they inflate in size to appear larger (a defensive mech), snakes don't like being picked up from the dorsal side often, makes them think there's a predator. One of my snakes reacts this way all the time, so I let it come to me.

Point is, other animals, there are cues..with Ts not really minus the obvious.

If ONE is going to do it, that's the best way, fall damage is significant as you know already.

Enjoy!

Jesus, that thread is one wild ride... thanks for linking it! Made for a nice bedtime story :rofl:

yeah that one is wild that is why I bookmark it and drop it here at times. People don't believe us until we show them proof! :mad:Just idiots.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I understand how most people feel about this but all owners have handled a t at least once before right ?
Nope! I never handled any of my 19 Ts... ever! They don't like it and it puts them at risk, so why should I do it?