My L. parahybana doesn't grow much...

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just so you know, this is powerfeeding, and speeds up the tarantula "aging" process, meaning she won't live as long if you keep this up. Also you should NEVER have crickets in there "at all times" as it stresses out the spider. They are quite capable of hurting or killing her, especially if she molts with them in there.

I would also debate that she is "coming out for handling." More like investigating a possible threat or prey item. {D Handling twice a day isn't likely good for her, but I guess as long as she's still eating you aren't actively causing her harm. Tarantulas are not social animals, they are not wired to want, enjoy, or understand interaction with other life forms beyond "predator, prey, or mate."
I had never heard about speeding the 'aging' process. Interesting prospect, do you know of any more official information on that? I would like to read into it, I definately wouldn't want to shorten her life but I was told to keep food on the plate for her as a sling.

I realize that they arent social animals, but all the slings I have raised on heavy handling have been extremely docile and do very well with anyone who wants to hold them. I believe this would definately stress out a bought adult from a pet store or even a raised T that has not had much interaction. Mine are so used to being handled that I can offer a flat hand and they will walk onto my hand, without provocation. Never had any get stressed out and stop feeding or start expressing any abnormal behavior as of yet. With the exception of my rosea which fasts once in a while (normal for the species).

I like to believe that my rearing has an impact on how they turn out, and has thus far. I know some folks have T's with super nasty attitudes, but they are handled little to never so I can see why. I mean usually docile species not OBT's or the likes.

Last edited:

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For those of you asking repetitive questions... READ the posts rather than just LOOK at the pics.

I'm asking for advice here, not criticism and attacks... thanks!

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I had never heard about speeding the 'aging' process. Interesting prospect, do you know of any more official information on that? I would like to read into it, I definately wouldn't want to shorten her life but I was told to keep food on the plate for her as a sling
I'm not sure what you mean by "official information," it's a generally accepted fact borne out by those who've kept species with short enough lifespans that you can notice the difference, particularly with the males. :?

In general, overfeeding and obesity will shorten ANY animal's lifespan, but with inverts that "age" by molting, it just works a little differently. If you feed a sling constantly, it will molt much faster, grow much faster, hit maturity much faster, and of course die sooner. If you feed a leaner diet, they go more slowly--there's a thread on this forum about someone's L. parahybana sling that escaped into the house for years before it was recaptured and hadn't grown at all! (But with regular meals, the growing/aging process resumed.)

If you use the handy forum search function with the keywords "powerfeeding" and "lifespan" I'm sure you'll get all the massively long argument and discussion threads you can stomach. {D