My L. Geometricus made and then discarded an egg sac

Clickbait

Arachnopeon
Hello, the title pretty much explains it all. Two days ago I found her at work making an egg sac, but when I checked up on her yesterday morning all I found were discarded scraps of webbing that looked like they belonged to what was going to be an egg sac. Why would she do this? I’ve had her since June so I know she is getting older, is that part of it?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
A practice run before the big event and population explosion?

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
That’s interesting, what would make them non-viable?
Any number of things. Random chance, genetics, nutrition, stress, etc etc. All animal species sometimes have non-viable eggs, and will spontaneously abort them (or abandon them or whatever is the equivalent for their reproductive process).

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hello, the title pretty much explains it all. Two days ago I found her at work making an egg sac, but when I checked up on her yesterday morning all I found were discarded scraps of webbing that looked like they belonged to what was going to be an egg sac. Why would she do this? I’ve had her since June so I know she is getting older, is that part of it?
L. geometricus is an invasive species displacing the native L. hesperus in certain areas.

Just go catch more. You'll be doing the environment a favor.