My KSBs!

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have two new Kenyan Sand Boas. I only have the larger (male) of the two photoed, because the smaller (female) had just eaten and I did not want to manipulate her.

I love these snakes! They are so neat!

Since these photos (two days ago) I have the tank arranged a bit better. I will post new habitat pictures soon (maybe by today's end).

Anyone else have or love sand boas?

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I love these guys. I want one so bad but my roommate says I can have anything but snakes. {D So I fill my room with everything else.

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You should really put more substrate in there, they like to burrow and make tunnels. The shavings seem to work fine though. Mine is an absolute sweety, definitely one of my favorite snakes :clap:

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep, there is more sub in there currently. I am going to put MORE in there and add a light curved glass plate to add pressure on top and to aid in viewing the tunnels they make. We have only had them a few days, but they are eating readily and doing great.

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds good :D Yeah I've never had a problem with my KSB eating, except that when it smells a mouse being brought closer to the cage, it snaps at the first thing it sees, which might be a finger!

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Also they are decent escape artists. I woke in the middle of the night and went to the kitchen to get a drink of water and was rather suprised to find my KSB in the middle of the floor. Suffice to say I was sure to make sure the locking clips are always on the lid now.

Your female wont be the smaller of the two for too long.

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah mine loves to get up to the top of the cage and crawl around the edge... the top didn't quite fit right so I used duct tape to make the top fit really snugly, with clips as well, and so far so good!

My little milksnakes are the ones that like to get away but that was solved with sliding lids on their tanks. I love the sliding lids, hehe.

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a young one of these that retained some of it's previous shed. I've got a water dish that I usually only fill once per week and a humid hide that I moisten every three days or so. I try to keep the humidity down because I've heard this species is vulnerable to respiratory infections.

I see you have big water dishes, did I get some bad information?

Thanks!

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep the habitat dry and the water dish full... just one of many ways of doing it. I am sure that your advise was good and based out of experience. I do not do moist hides for the ksbs, but do have a full water dish available.

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I'm going to start keeping the water dish full. The snake usually does well but she definitely is retaining part of the shed and although she usually eats hardily she ignored her pinkie this week.

Thanks!