my jumping spider dont eat at all

a3idbxby

Arachnopeon
so I caught a black jumping spider three days ago and it won't eat, it's smaller than my pinky nail, please help I've tried feeding it everything. ants, flys, moths both alive and dead for each one. but it still won't eat. please help I'm scared it's going to die. and FYI the ants in new Zealand are really small. and I've even tried putting the spider and the prey in a smaller container so it would be easier for the spider to hunt it down but still nothing. some people say "flightless fruit fly"
but my family won't order things online and in New Zealand, there aren't any flightless fruit flies, so I have no access to them, what do I do? please help

Last edited:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Ever thought that it might be stressed out from being caught and is just not hungry?

a3idbxby

Arachnopeon
Ever thought that it might be stressed out from being caught and is just not hungry?
you are so right but still ...what do I do? this spider is like anxiety cope mechanism to me and I don't want it to die

Poonjab

Arachnoking
you are so right but still ...what do I do? this spider is like anxiety cope mechanism to me and I don't want it to die
Best advice I can give you is to determine species, and make sure you set it up properly (look on boards for husbandry/care tips) after housed properly every few days offer it a prey item. If it doesn’t take, wait a few more days and repeat process.

a3idbxby

Arachnopeon
Best advice I can give you is to determine species, and make sure you set it up properly (look on boards for husbandry/care tips) after housed properly every few days offer it a prey item. If it doesn’t take, wait a few more days and repeat process.
what do you mean by determine species ? what is that? I'm so sorry for so many questions I'm really new to the whole spider thing:happy:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
what do you mean by determine species ? what is that? I'm so sorry for so many questions I'm really new to the whole spider thing:happy:
What is the species of the jumping spider? There are over 4000 different species of jumpers. Determine what yours is so you know what it’s care requirements are.

a3idbxby

Arachnopeon
What is the species of the jumping spider? There are over 4000 different species of jumpers. Determine what yours is so you know what it’s care requirements are.
may I send a photo, and could you determine which one it is, is that okay with you?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
You’ll have to post in the channel for that. You could just do some research on your own and determine what it is on your own. If you can’t figure it out, then make a post in the appropriate channel and others will help determine.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
may I send a photo, and could you determine which one it is, is that okay with you?
I could also help ID :)
Also, this was posted in the wrong place. This section of the forum is for trouble with the actual website, not with invertebrates. This question should go in the Other Spiders & Arachnids section :)

a3idbxby

Arachnopeon
You’ll have to post in the channel for that. You could just do some research on your own and determine what it is on your own. If you can’t figure it out, then make a post in the appropriate channel and others will help determine.
Thank you so much : )

Also, this was posted in the wrong place. This section of the forum is for trouble with the actual website, not with invertebrates. This question should go in the Other Spiders & Arachnids section :)
thank you so muchhh : )

so I tried some research but there are too many jumping spiders that look like mine and I have no idea which one it is, so what do I press on so i can post? forums? what's new? classifieds? oh and here's my spider :)

Attachments

Royalty

Arachnoknight
My little "tan jumping spider" has not eaten for about a week now. (tucked in the web)

It is pretty normal for them to go a while without eating. (especially if it is a mature male) That being said, since it is a wild-caught there could be some issues that you may not know about. There is not much you can do except care for it properly and occasionally offer food and remove anything uneaten. Also, I find that my jumping spiders were never that interested in ants. I have collected a few wild caught as well.

I can not really ID it from the photo.

a3idbxby

Arachnopeon
My little "tan jumping spider" has not eaten for about a week now. (tucked in the web)

It is pretty normal for them to go a while without eating. (especially if it is a mature male) That being said, since it is a wild-caught there could be some issues that you may not know about. There is not much you can do except care for it properly and occasionally offer food and remove anything uneaten. Also, I find that my jumping spiders were never that interested in ants. I have collected a few wild caught as well.

[/QUOTE
oh thank you, another question is it normal that my spider hasn't made a web?

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Do you have a photo of the set up? Jumping spiders generally make a "sleeping sac" at night. It is not always very visible but they build them up over time.

Jumper

Arachnosquire
so I caught a black jumping spider three days ago and it won't eat, it's smaller than my pinky nail, please help I've tried feeding it everything. ants, flys, moths both alive and dead for each one. but it still won't eat. please help I'm scared it's going to die. and FYI the ants in new Zealand are really small. and I've even tried putting the spider and the prey in a smaller container so it would be easier for the spider to hunt it down but still nothing. some people say "flightless fruit fly"
but my family won't order things online and in New Zealand, there aren't any flightless fruit flies, so I have no access to them, what do I do? please help
From my experience, patience is key. It really depends on the spider. Some spiders will get acclimated to their surroundings in one day and some spiders will get adjusted in a week. I wouldn't feed my jumpers ants.
I read somewhere on the inter-webs, Jumpers need sun light to promote an appetite. I'm not saying to stick the enclosure by the window, but some sun light should stimulate their feeding.
I would also suggest misting the CORNER of the enclosure. It may be dehydrated.
I feed my smaller jumpers fruit flies, tiny crickets.
My adult/larger jumpers. I feed them small mealworms, maggots, blue bottle flies, moths and small crickets.
I give them a variety of prey.
Jumpers like to hunt for their food. I hope this helps.

Jumper

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Don’t sweat it. The more you bother it the more stressed it will become. Give it time to adapt, then feed it. I’d say you could start feeding it about a week after you leave it alone.

It will web and eat when it feels up to it. The spider knows how to spider better than you, let it do its thing.

Jumpers are awesome eaters, and can fairly voraciously take down prey 3x their body size. You can leave the prey in the container and leave it. They’ll go after it when they’re hungry. Just remove it 24 hrs later if it still hasn’t been eaten.

Most jumpers are kept fairly similarly. Arboreal enclosure, some foliage, and depending on their size, a small tube of some sort at the top to allow them to make a protected nest. The nesting spot is optional, as they’ll web anywhere they’d like anyways.

The pic you sent would likely not be able to be ID’d. Post it in the proper channel, along with more pics looking from the top down. Patterns, markings, and colors play a large role in the ID.

I’ll leave an example of our old female’s enclosure as an example. It does not have to look like this, but this gives you an idea for how to set one up. And yes, the housing we gave her was a fish tank ornament. As for water supply, you can mist their enclosure about 1-2x a week LIGHTLY. They will drink from the water droplets on the side. If you do it too much they can drown in the water.

85C9CE5F-8ACF-47C0-908C-AA914B07873A.jpeg

a3idbxby

Arachnopeon
From my experience, patience is key. It really depends on the spider. Some spiders will get acclimated to their surroundings in one day and some spiders will get adjusted in a week. I wouldn't feed my jumpers ants.
I read somewhere on the inter-webs, Jumpers need sun light to promote an appetite. I'm not saying to stick the enclosure by the window, but some sun light should stimulate their feeding.
I would also suggest misting the CORNER of the enclosure. It may be dehydrated.
I feed my smaller jumpers fruit flies, tiny crickets.
My adult/larger jumpers. I feed them small mealworms, maggots, blue bottle flies, moths and small crickets.
I give them a variety of prey.
Jumpers like to hunt for their food. I hope this helps.

Jumper
thank you so much that helps me a lot but where I live we don't have crickets or fruit flies here, and I can't order anything online, so what do I feed my spider?