My jumping spider can't catch food

papillon251

Arachnopeon
My Phiddipus regius NF reached mature size few weeks ago. He took few meals, but last week and half won't. It dosen't look like he doesn't want to eat but he just can't catch even dead insect. I tried with different insects and different sizes but he always jumps and then misses it. His body got really srinked and I don't know what is the problem. They have led lights above them, so light and temperature is not the problem and the other spider is acting normaly.

I just read somewhere that you could give them honey with water. I tried that with q-tip and he seems to like it.

papillon251

Arachnopeon
But he is not ignoring it, he just can't catch it, even a dead insect. He always jumps at it but misses it.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Anecdotal, but I picked one up from a local shop some time back (also a male), & it was about the clumsiest spider I've ever seen in my life. Thing would stalk crickets for the longest time before completely fumbling the take-down & having to start all over. I swear some of those crickets would taunt that poor dumb spider like squirrels taunting a dog. I'd look in a half-hour later, & you could tell he JUST got the things.
Adult Males sometimes ignore eating, in search of a female
Don't we all...

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
...just out of curiosity, how big is its enclosure? I gave mine a much bigger cage than I would have for a T, because I figured it'd appreciate the room to jump. I wondered if that had something to do with it when I had it.

papillon251

Arachnopeon
It is 25x25 cm. It was in smaller one till 5th molt. It is just that he was normaly taking food even after molting and then just stopped. Everything stayed the same. I tried to put him on flat surface so he would catch food easier, but that also didn't help. He kinda misses it, then gets scared of it and won't try again till the enxt day.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Well the general consensus here is that it's not worth being too concerned at this point, & so far, the general consensus here hasn't given me bad advice, so.... maybe give him a solid week or two before trying again, & just enjoy him in the meantime...

Can you post some pics? Folks here LOVE good pics, might yield some higher level insight & opinion...
Best of luck, friend!

papillon251

Arachnopeon
Oh, I didn't know that. This is my first one :). So could he be not eating because he will molt soon?

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I believe unlike mygalomorphs once most Araneomorphs reach their ultimate molt they will no longer molt.