My isopods

Pick your favourite species of the three!

• Total voters

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Guess instead of scattering the pictures around the place I'll just make a thread only for them, especially since my interest in these little guys grew so much :p
All are wild caught so far, from the woods, our garden, and my grandmas garden (just the calicos).

Oniscus asellus. This particular one was named Atlas, it was the biggest one I ever had, had him for a good while too. He has since passed away, RIP big guy.

Atlas' large butt showing when he's tried to hide. Gives you a good size comparison with the others around. Edit: And to the left there's my P. scaber calico, Poppy :)

Armadillidium vulgare, the females tend to be more brownish.

Baby isopod under my microscope, lifting its head up.

O. asellus in grey and...what do you call that colour? Light brown? Creme? Beige?

Another one. I'm trying to separate this morph!

A. vulgare up close

A rather big Porcellio scaber calico named Poppy, she's one of my favourites due to her gorgeous pattern. Trying to breed more with her in hopes the babies will come out just as gorgeous :)

Calico babies up close, 1-2mm small but already showing the pattern.

Last edited:

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Ordered Armadillidium maculatum a few days ago, here's a pic before I put them into my box. After I put them in they all hid under the same piece of bark, now a few days later they hang out with the other isopods in my box. Kind of cute seeing so many species cuddling together. I'd take a pic but they run away so fast when you shine a light on them.

I also went out into the woods again to release everything in my forest box and start over just because. And I found a different isopod species in the forest under pieces of wood!
I think it's Philoscia muscorum in two different colour morphs (brown patterned and dark with a red line around its body) but I'm not 100% sure.

Here's one sitting on a flat backed millipede like a total dick.

Close up of a dark one. They're super fast, too!

Two of the new isopods, two flat backed millipedes, and two pretty P. scaber calicos I found. One grey-yellow, one grey-red.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I think it's Philoscia muscorum in two different colour morphs (brown patterned and dark with a red line around its body) but I'm not 100% sure.
Yes, they are indeed P.muscorum, just some variable coloration going on there. :)

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Thanks!
I just realised that in the picture of Atlas hiding, there's the female calico from a later picture I still own, but she was a bit smaller back then. Had her for longer than I thought. I'll name her Poppy :)

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Nice collection!
I found some treasures yesterday myself.

The two bottom ones.
That's the nicest A. vulgare I've ever found. I've isolated them off with some of my other really nice A. vulgare.
And then the white P. pruinosus.
I've never seen a white one, anywhere on the web or otherwise.
They're separated off as well.
I'm hoping I can get that morph going.
I have an orange P. pruinosus as well, but the white one. Never seen a white one.

I really want the A. maculatum, they're on my list.
I just recently got O. asellus and P. scaber "Dalmatian".
Already noticed some baby Dalmatians.

I'll be updating on the white P. pruinosus as updates come.
There's a really nice wild colony in my front yard under a piece of wood.
Put some aspen bedding under it and I think they are enjoying it.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Nice collection!
I found some treasures yesterday myself.

The two bottom ones.
That's the nicest A. vulgare I've ever found. I've isolated them off with some of my other really nice A. vulgare.
And then the white P. pruinosus.
I've never seen a white one, anywhere on the web or otherwise.
They're separated off as well.
I'm hoping I can get that morph going.
I have an orange P. pruinosus as well, but the white one. Never seen a white one.

I really want the A. maculatum, they're on my list.
I just recently got O. asellus and P. scaber "Dalmatian".
Already noticed some baby Dalmatians.

I'll be updating on the white P. pruinosus as updates come.
There's a really nice wild colony in my front yard under a piece of wood.
Put some aspen bedding under it and I think they are enjoying it.
Very nice, I know Cape cod roaches has a white P.pruinosus morph in his collection, don't know if he's had luck isolating it or not...
Regardless, that's a really rare find, hope you collect more and isolate that morph, they are beautiful! :D

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Very nice, I know Cape cod roaches has a white P.pruinosus morph in his collection, don't know if he's had luck isolating it or not...
Regardless, that's a really rare find, hope you collect more and isolate that morph, they are beautiful! :D
Oh awesome!
I didn't know haha. I have mine in with a few others, and they breed pretty quickly so I'm hopeful.
Assuming I can produce more, I'll isolate them further and *hopefully* have a nice breeding colony of them.
The area where I found that one, there is a nice breeding colony. Lots of babies, lots of varying colours among the babies.
I plan on checking it everyday at least once to see what is there. Maybe I'll find more.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Oh awesome!
I didn't know haha. I have mine in with a few others, and they breed pretty quickly so I'm hopeful.
Assuming I can produce more, I'll isolate them further and *hopefully* have a nice breeding colony of them.
The area where I found that one, there is a nice breeding colony. Lots of babies, lots of varying colours among the babies.
I plan on checking it everyday at least once to see what is there. Maybe I'll find more.
Well keep us updated, would love for that morph to become established in the hobby! :)

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Slugpod that A. vulgare is really nice! It reminds me so much of a certain vanilla pudding with chocolate sprinkles, mm. Good luck with breeding them! Would be cool to see a new morph becoming a thing :D

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Slugpod that A. vulgare is really nice! It reminds me so much of a certain vanilla pudding with chocolate sprinkles, mm. Good luck with breeding them! Would be cool to see a new morph becoming a thing :D
Thank you!
I'm hoping to get a couple things going.
I found another cool A. vulgare: The one in the center, with the orange trimming.

Hoping to isolate and produce more of those.
It's really interesting looking and I really like it.
The two just left of it are really interesting in appearance as well. Really freckled with a cream / yellow as opposed to the one top right who has the more common yellow pattern.

Ghoul

Arachnosquire

More Poppy because I love her and she's the biggest in my colony at this moment with 1,6cm (excluding antennas) :)

Ghoul

Arachnosquire

Picture of my current set up, all it needs is new dead leaves because I underestimated how fast they eat those, hehe. Also, here's all my current species:

And here's some recent pictures!

Poppy gave birth to the most beautiful little calicos, some currently look more dalmatian, it's amazing. Also, all species got babies now but they're still very very small. :D

Poppy is so goddamn huge compared to all the others, hehe.