My inverts.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Aah, this is making me nostalgic about all the mantids I had...Awesome pics and I should probably start keeping them again.
Unfortunately I can't seem to keep the flower mantids alive. Hatched my own CB casters etcetera but nope. So I stick to the larger hardier breeds. This lass is definitely an OAP now though.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My Lethocerus africanus chowing down on a morio worm I just gave her.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Paraphrasing a National Geographic article here. Although it looks like mantids have pupils they don't. They're called pseudopupils. The eye of a mantis is made up of thousands of tiny individual light receptors called ommatidia. When you look at a mantis at a particular angle or the mantis looks at you some of the ommatida are absorbing all the wavelengths of light which is why they look black. Meanwhile, the light receptors all around the dark spot are reflecting certain wavelengths, which is why the rest of the eye appears green.

Last edited:

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow what kind of camera are you using? Beautiful inverts and really good quality pictures!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Wow what kind of camera are you using? Beautiful inverts and really good quality pictures!
I'm using a ridiculous camera set up that should get me far better results. I'm struggling with the lighting. It's a Sony a7r iii. Once I've got the lighting sorted I'll get better pics.

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm using a ridiculous camera set up that should get me far better results. I'm struggling with the lighting. It's a Sony a7r iii. Once I've got the lighting sorted I'll get better pics.
I was impressed at the quality now lol. I'll be blown away once it gets better! Great job; definitely keep it up!

DancingHare

Arachnopeon
Your mantids are beautiful, they've always been one of my favorite insects. Thanks for the pictures!

basin79

ArachnoGod
I found a hairy rove beetle in my backyard. It's the first 1 I've ever seen. Brought him/her into captivity for a little bit to get some pics and videos. Hoping for a nice sunny day so I can really get some detailed pics. Made very short work of the waxworm.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Not my invert but a hoverfly that was in my backyard. Really wanted to get a pic of a bee but they wouldn't come near me .

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unbelievable photos! Beetles/ Insects always looks so mechanical to me on upclose pics!! Great job!