Problem MY INBOX IS BROKEN- Please Respond to my SECOND thread about this

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@MrDeranged

Four score and seven years ago (or 4 centuries it seems). I posted a problem w/my my Inbox.

I can no longer send or receive new conversations. I'm not the only member who has this problem.

Here's a snapshot from today (NOT THE FIRST TIME I'VE SEEN THIS) of another member trying to reach me.

HELP HELP HELP HELP

Is it an inbox issue, or do I have too many messages. I only have a total of 62 conversations. I thought we were allowed 100.

Lastly, the old AB forum's status bar indicating how full your inbox was is VERY VERY USEFUL. It should be re-instated IF possible??

Deranged.JPG
no start.JPG
active account.JPG

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I'm not 100% sure but I think each individual post within a conversation counts towards the limit.
@AphonpelmaTX

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
One half arsed way to check. Completely empty your inbox taking note of how many conversations and posts within each convo. Then recreate all the convos and posts, making sure you stay within the limitations. If you find yourself again restricted the BB has problems. If restrictions are removed, it was your account being miscounted.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I don't have the definitive answer on how the conversations work in this forum software, but I would think each individual message in a conversation would count toward your limit. Comparing to the old forum software, what was in your Sent and Inbox folders counted toward your limit and the conversations in this software is essentially a combination of an Inbox and Sent.

Since we do not have an export function, or any other way to save your conversations, a work around would be to "print" your conversation to a PDF through your browser. It's not as elegant as a built in export/ save function, but it does the trick and it just looks cool. Since each operating system and browser could do this differently, I suggest looking up how to create, print to, or otherwise save a webpage as a PDF file from the browser you are using. I'm using Mac OS X Yosemite (v 10.10.5) with Chrome and I go up to File -> Print... and make sure the Destination is "Save as PDF". This basically saves the entire webpage as a PDF file with all of the messages in a conversation how you see them in the browser.

Once you get that working and looking right on your computer, you can use it to save several conversations then "Leave" them to see if you can start sending and receiving messages again. It will also tell you for sure if each message in a conversation counts toward your limit.

I have to end this with something of a disclaimer. Please research the "print to PDF" functionality and make sure you have a backup of your messages before deleting/ "leaving" the conversations. The views and advice here is my own and is not necessarily that of the Arachnoboards staff or any other user including moderators and may or may not be correct. Use at your own risk. :)

The Snark

Old Timer
A much easier way to save conversations. This is Windows and Firefox. Go to the Inbox page. Select a conversation using the right mouse click. Then select Save Link as HTML. The entire convo and all links will be saved. Open as you would a web page with your browser.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A much easier way to save conversations. This is Windows and Firefox. Go to the Inbox page. Select a conversation using the right mouse click. Then select Save Link as HTML. The entire convo and all links will be saved. Open as you would a web page with your browser.
I've done that one before as well as print to PDF for other things. The problem w/saving as HTML is it requires you to make a folder and then save inside that folder so that all the files are saved. In FF, I went to File>Save Page As>Web Page, complete in the save file type drop down box.
It generates 2 things, a folder with a ton of files, and the web page below. Perhaps I'm missing something on this tip?

If I knew OneNote better, I'd use that, it's a digital notebook sorta.

upload_2016-7-5_17-24-20.png

The Snark

Old Timer
File>Save Page As>Web Page, complete in the save file type drop down box.
It generates 2 things, a folder with a ton of files, and the web page below. Perhaps I'm missing something on this tip?
Do NOT open the page. Simply right click the LINK then Save Link As ....

The Snark

Old Timer
Ah I see now, thanks! Much easier.
Now that will open the page in the browser. You can tell the browser to work off line if you don't want all the links developed, or open in a word processing program (UGLY) and tell it to break the links.

The Snark

Old Timer
PS I've got a LOT of checks, controls, firewalls and restrictions installed on my comp. Things may not work the same in yours. If you have questions or need some pointers, post or PM.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
PS I've got a LOT of checks, controls, firewalls and restrictions installed on my comp. Things may not work the same in yours. If you have questions or need some pointers, post or PM.
It worked fine. What are you using for firewall? Hardware of software or both? There was a great piece of software yrs ago that I used.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I play with all the free ones. Whichever is the least intrusive at the time. My system is too bullet proof for it to make any significant difference.

Which one was that?
It was called TinyFirewall, wasn't the most user friendly at least in XP, but very powerful.