My husband wants a T...I am disabled, and I have a concern...

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A quick search on google for 'tank dimensions' and the first hit is....

http://alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm

There. Dimensions.
Why should i have to search for her tank's dimensions?:? Plus, not all fish tanks are the same dimensions. Not saying they aren't her tanks dimensions...............

And to add to your first statement about searching; using an advanced search helps TONS more.
D'oh!!! Thanks for adding that, slipped my mind, but you are absolutely right. i always use advanced search, because you can pick which sub-forums to search through and sometimes it helps to search just the titles of threads, instead of the entire thread.:D

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tell Josh to sleep on the floor for the next couple weeks. He isn't going to die; he'll be fine.
yep. I mean, I'm sure she'll be ok for today until we get her tank set up right and all, but I don't want this to be any longer than it has to be.

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why should i have to search for her tank's dimensions?:? Plus, not all fish tanks are the same dimensions. Not saying they aren't her tanks dimensions...............

D'oh!!! Thanks for adding that, slipped my mind, but you are absolutely right. i always use advanced search, because you can pick which sub-forums to search through and sometimes it helps to search just the titles of threads, instead of the entire thread.:D
Thank you for your help.

I did a search for dimensions of a 5 gallon tank, and got this answer...

14 x 8 x 11

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She did the same thing.

I did a search for dimensions of a 5 gallon tank, and got this answer...

14 x 8 x 11
I've never actually seen a 5-gal...but I've seen a 5.5 gal and the dimensions are 16 3/16 x 8 3/8 x 10 1/2.

I can't believe this thread is 13 pages long...

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I hear ya!

I'm too lazy to read it all so I'll just say good luck to shypoet and welcome to the hobby. The only advice I'd give is to try not to stress yourself out too much and micro-manage...keep it simple and you should be fine. Oh, and do plenty of reading on these boards too. Hope you enjoy your new pet.

ghordy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A tarantula is probably one of the easiest pets to keep. An enclosure, some dirt, a hide, and a water dish is all that's needed. A couple crickets every two weeks and your done. Fussing over things stresses out the T and the keeper. In the wild a tarantula lives out its entire life in an area not much bigger than the enclosures people keep them in now.

Zebo777

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah they really are the pet you can neglect. Did you ever figure out her size?

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
here is a picture of her tank. We filled it up almost to halfway. Right now, it is still damp, but it should be dry within a day or so. I didn't get a very good picture of Suzie because as to be expected with it still being damp, she is on top of her hideout.

The picture is small, and sideways. Taken from my cell phone.

Once she is used to her new home, we will feed her, but I want to give her some time before putting her food in there.

Once she is down on the ground, I will do my best to take a picture of her.

Thanks again everyone for your help :)

Zebo777

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can sprinkle a thin layer of dry substrate on top of the damp and she will feel more comfortable walking around

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She did the same thing.

I've never actually seen a 5-gal...but I've seen a 5.5 gal and the dimensions are 16 3/16 x 8 3/8 x 10 1/2.

me either. It's probably because I have a hard time understanding things. I promise you that even if I haven't been very good at it, I do use the search here on the board.

Zebo777

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you have something to judge the size of your t to? Is it a sling,juvie,adult?

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you have something to judge the size of your t to? Is it a sling,juvie,adult?
Here's a not so good picture:

she's not a sling, and I doubt she's full grown right now, she fits in the palm of Josh's hand.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She looks pretty full-grown to me, although it is a pretty small pic.

Sunset

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good beginger T's

The only bad thing with red knees and red legs is that they kick hairs. Rose hairs don't really do that. I have a fire rose hair and she loves to be picked up and handled. I don't see anything wrong with them. They not known to bit there slow and they don't mind people. I also like pink toes. There very nice and they don't really move fast in less you scare them. But that's with any put you have. I hand feed my pink toe. he knows when hes going to be feed so when i open the top he climbs up waits for me takes the cricket and then go back into his cage. The rose hairs and pink toes are very cheap.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Red knee, rose hair, fire rose hair, pinktoe???
No wonder scientific names are better

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She looks pretty full-grown to me, although it is a pretty small pic.
I'll try to take a pic of her with Josh's digital camera some other time. That one here was taken with my cell phone.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, that little pic is a bit much for my one eye to focus on, but it does 'look' like it needs more substrate in the enclosure.

When you use the digital camera, make sure to use the macro setting when taking pics of the T, it is usually a little flower icon on the camera.