My, How She's Grown

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
This is my T. apophysis when I bought her back in April 2002 . . .

Joy

Last edited:

Joy

Old Timer
And here's how she looks today! Still a long way from full-grown, but getting there :)

Joy

Last edited:

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joy,

I paid close attention to your hands the last time I saw you and I must say that the ones in all your pics are pretty good replicas. ;)

I get a rash looking at that...

John

Last edited:

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow! nice T. apophysis you've got there... how do you do it? what is your secret to handle a tarantulas? :) the only tarantulas I could handle is my little pinktoe...:8o

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She is beautiful :D nice pictures

Originally posted by Joy
And here's how she looks today! Still a long way from full-grown, but getting there :)

Joy

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Theraposa
what is your secret to handle a tarantulas? :)
maybe nerves of steel? i dont believe the little joke-rumor about fake hands. joy, divulge please!

btw, love the spider! it is so lovely to see them bulk up like that!

kellygirl

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by JP version 1.0
Joy,

I paid close attention to your hands the last time I saw you and I must say that the ones in all your pics are pretty good replicas. ;)

I get a rash looking at that...

John
=D I confess I was a little bit anxious after handling this one, John! I know by now that just because one doesn't react to previous exposures doesn't mean one NEVER will. But I seem to have gotten away with it this time at least.

Guys, I don't really have a "secret" for handling. What I do isn't to be confused with what Rosemary Kraft does, i.e. taming spiders. I just find spiders who are already in a good mood and take advantage of it! And the measures I use are the same you'd use to test the temperament of a rosea or smithi--the old paint brush system.

Joy

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Joy,
Either those grow VERY quickly or, you are the mistress of plumping. :)
Peace,
Gillian

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
pretty girl!
You know...the only ones that really freak me out about handling are the ones where you might not expect it.
Once you can judge their mood, it's a bit easier.
I'd rather handle my C crayshawi than my A geniculata...if you can believe that LOL
Their personalities are so different, you really have to go by the indivdual spider, as much as what species it is.
The only real secret, is to remain calm NO MATTER WHAT

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can't get over how leggy those spiders are!

Stacey Kiebler eat your heart out hehe

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Why do their pink feet go away as they grow? isnt that a little ironic judging by their name?

Mark

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
=D I confess I was a little bit anxious after handling this one, John! I know by now that just because one doesn't react to previous exposures doesn't mean one NEVER will. But I seem to have gotten away with it this time at least.

Guys, I don't really have a "secret" for handling. What I do isn't to be confused with what Rosemary Kraft does, i.e. taming spiders. I just find spiders who are already in a good mood and take advantage of it! And the measures I use are the same you'd use to test the temperament of a rosea or smithi--the old paint brush system.

Joy
I would assume that you could safely handle ANY tarantula. Even if it is feeling in a pissy mood, just use a paintbrush (or SOMETHING) to back it onto your hand. Once it's on your hand, it is basically on the ground.

And tarantulas don't bite the ground.

Actually, that's not entirely true. I once handled my usambara babboon, and as an experiment, I pinned down one of its legs. What the spider did was dig into my arm with its fangs.

But I'm assuming it only bit into my arm to keep me from lifting it by its leg.

Anyway, have you EVER been bitten by one of your spiders? If so, was it unexpected, or were you just being stupid?

Personally, I KNOW, that I have to handle ALL of my pets at least once. And since there is always the possibility of being bitten, that's why I REFUSE to get any truly dangerous species. No Pokies for me. No Androctoni for me, either. AWnd no scolopendra. Those bastards scare the <binkie boo> out of me.

But since you handle crap that I would NEVER handle (hell, I even licked my emperor scorpion), I'm just curious as to whether or not you've ever been bitten.

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
question for Joy

Originally posted by Immortal_sin
pretty girl!

I'd rather handle my C crayshawi than my A geniculata...if you can believe that LOL
have you ever handled a c.crawshayi joy? if you have could u post one of those pics with it on your hand?
thanks,
Jono

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: question for Joy

Originally posted by Jono_mad
have you ever handled a c.crawshayi joy? if you have could u post one of those pics with it on your hand?
thanks,
Jono
I saw her having one of those on her hands a while ago iirc...
I don't even have the guts to take my rosea on my hands ... What's up with the paintbrush thingy? Maybe it can be of any help to me.

Ðennis

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by whoami?
Anyway, have you EVER been bitten by one of your spiders?

No, not so far (knock on wood!). The closest I have come was a few weeks back with my orb-weaver (A. argentata, I think, but I'm not terribly knowledgeable about araneomorph names). I was putting a cricket in her web with forceps. Before I could withdraw my hand, she came sweeping down on me and proceeded to wrap up the cricket, the forceps, AND my index finger with sheets of web. She then started palping my finger all over. I figured this was the part where she administered the venom, and I was pretty nervous at the thought of being bitten, but too curious to see what she would do to interrupt her. In the end, she decided I wasn't anything good to eat, and ran back to the center of her web without biting. A very interesting experience!

Jono, here's a picture of me with one of my crawshayi--or a picture of my prosthetic hands with one of my crawshayi if you prefer John's theory ;-) Oh, yes, and the usual disclaimer applies. All tarantulas have venom, all can bite, and C. crawshayi *may* have more potent venom than most. Handling is not generally recommended and should be done only with a full understanding of the possible consequences.

Joy

Last edited:

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Joy,
would you consider your crawshayi the heaviest tarantulas?

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by Theraposa
Hey Joy,
would you consider your crawshayi the heaviest tarantulas?
You know, that's a good question. I do remember that specimen being rather heavy in the hand, but I didn't think to weigh her while I had her out. I'd guess my senior blondi (Max) might be my heaviest, but I've never weighed her, either. Here's a picture of a contender I HAVE weighed: a L. klugi :)

Joy

Last edited: