My H Maculata Is Growing Like Mad::PICTURES

T

Tarantula

My H maculata has been growing like a weed since I purchased it. It went from about 1.5 inches to 3 and a bit when it molted last night

I took two pics.

Attachments

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looks like you have an adult male H. mac, now! Mail that sucker off or get yourself a nice big female for breeding! :D

bill

Last edited:
T

Tarantula

How do you know it is a male? It is too small I think to be male

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol...that was a great post to read....I loved the expression. Good eye, Bill...could you just tell from coloration or what? I've never delt with this species. Hope you get some good little chitlin's outta that one, T.

Marcus

T

Tarantula

I will probably have to end up keeping it until its dying days because the odds of finding a Canadian with a mature female to breed it with are quite slim I think. It is doomed to die sexually unsatisfied I am afraid. This saddens me. I have my fingers crossed that a taker will find me. It doesnt have tibial spurs which I thought it would but it does have palpal bulbs which are quite obvious. I didnt think those pictures would tell the story. This seems so small but it is very leggy.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I can tell because H. maculata males are somewhat sexually dimorphic -- they lose much of the female patterning, become much longer-haired and of course leggier. We've also had several male and female specimen in recently and the difference is apparent when you compare the two.

Hopefully someone in Canada has females! Good luck...

bill

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh ya, I think you can tell males from female over 95% of the time just by looking, if you know what to look for ofcourse. I love the males, want to go everywhere, and have a mind just like most guys, hehe.

-Jeremy