My growing Collection of Millie's

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
I wanted to share my collection of beauties. I currently have:
Anadenobolus monilicornis - Bumblebee's
Orthoporus ornatus - Chocolates, Reds, Caramel and Sonoran
Chicobolus spinigerus - Florida Ivories

I started with 7 Sonoran's, I'm down to 1, they've all died one by one, I'm not sure why. The others all seem to be doing well. I'm hard pressed to get some of them breeding, pedelings would be awesome. I have a list of others I want to find, but this is my beginning...so many more to come. Advice on Enclosures, conditions, and food is welcome, especially to encourage breeding.

Attachments

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Nice collection! You shouldn't have a problem with the Bumblebees, Red Legs and Ivories breeding. How many do you have of each and do you know the sexes? The Bumblebee babies are TINY. A little smaller than a caraway seed. Before I saw any babies I had a magnifying glass and I would stare and stare at the substrate. Be patient; it will happen! I can spot the babies easily now, but it took some staring practice.

Unfortunately, the Orthoporus are not easy to breed and I am not convinced they are easy to keep. I think all that I have bought was from a vendor that wasn't knowledgeable or conscientious about their care and I didn't keep any longer than a few months. I'll try again some day. I have heard they are easy.

Where did you find your Ephibolus pulchripes? That's one I haven't been able to add to my collection yet.

Scarlets are a fun species; easy to keep and breed and would even live with the Bumblebees. They are the same size and reddish in color.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Oh - and NEVER, EVER keep Isopods with Millipeds no matter what anyone says.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Nice collection! You shouldn't have a problem with the Bumblebees, Red Legs and Ivories breeding. How many do you have of each and do you know the sexes? The Bumblebee babies are TINY. A little smaller than a caraway seed. Before I saw any babies I had a magnifying glass and I would stare and stare at the substrate. Be patient; it will happen! I can spot the babies easily now, but it took some staring practice.

Unfortunately, the Orthoporus are not easy to breed and I am not convinced they are easy to keep. I think all that I have bought was from a vendor that wasn't knowledgeable or conscientious about their care and I didn't keep any longer than a few months. I'll try again some day. I have heard they are easy.

Where did you find your Ephibolus pulchripes? That's one I haven't been able to add to my collection yet.

Scarlets are a fun species; easy to keep and breed and would even live with the Bumblebees. They are the same size and reddish in color.
I just started collecting back in January/February, I got the Sonorans and Bumblebees first. I have 3 Bumblebees, 4 Chocolates, 5 Red legs, 4 Ivories, 6 Reds..and I'm unsure of the sexes, sexing is a skill I haven't acquired yet. I was just hoping I have at least at least one male and one female in the groups. I want Scarlets badly but haven't been able to find them. The Red legswere a gift from my boyfriend, I believe they were collected in Texas. Actually all my Millie's were gifts from my boyfriend lol, he feeds my passion. The Red legs are active and voracious eaters, their entertaining for sure, they seem to be doing well. The Bumblebees are still small, they stay burrowed most of the time, they've grown but still have a long way to go before their adults. In regards to the Ornatus', the Sonorans have proved to be difficult to keep for me, they've all died and my last survivor looks as if he will die as well. I did my research on them and I'm not sure what went wrong. The Chocolates are thriving, and the Reds and Caramel were just gifted to me Sunday so we shall see how they do. Im still a rookie and learning as I go, but I would love to see some babies!!

Last edited:

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Oh - and NEVER, EVER keep Isopods with Millipeds no matter what anyone says.
It's funny you say that! I discovered Isopods in the Sonoran enclosure a while ago but read that it was ok to have them in there. I moved the Sonoran to a smaller enclosure with new sub and leaves yesterday, so the Isopods are gone now. Would that have anything to do with them dying?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
It's funny you say that! I discovered Isopods in the Sonoran enclosure a while ago but read that it was ok to have them in there. I moved the Sonoran to a smaller enclosure with new sub and leaves yesterday, so the Isopods are gone now. Would that have anything to do with them dying?
I don't think Isopods would kill an adult milliped. I am certain they ate thousands of eggs in my N. americanus enclosure. I went a year with no babies but now I am certain the isopods feasted on the eggs. I have heard the isopods can kill a molting milliped but I have not witnessed that.

Are you sure of the identity of the Ephibolus pulchripes? If they were collected in Texas, they might be something else.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
I don't think Isopods would kill an adult milliped. I am certain they ate thousands of eggs in my N. americanus enclosure. I went a year with no babies but now I am certain the isopods feasted on the eggs. I have heard the isopods can kill a molting milliped but I have not witnessed that.

Are you sure of the identity of the Ephibolus pulchripes? If they were collected in Texas, they might be something else.
I'm not sure if they were collected in Texas, I've had so many arrivals that came from all over that I can't be certain of where they were collected. I have Millipedes from several different states. I'll attach a couple more pics for identification purposes, let me know what you think.

Attachments

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure if they were collected in Texas, I've had so many arrivals that came from all over that I can't be certain of where they were collected. I have Millipedes from several different states. I'll attach a couple more pics for identification purposes, let me know what you think.
I've never kept them so I am not real familiar. They are larger than any American species with similar coloration that I can recall.

Maybe @Marika or @MrCrackerpants might be more familiar?!

Marika

Arachnoangel
I haven't kept Epibolus pulchripes, but the millipede in the pics doesn't really look like one IMO. If it's a female then it's definitely not E. pulchripes.