My grass spider laid an egg sac what do i do?????

SmokinNightOwl

Arachnopeon
So I have a female north american grass spider agelenopsis sp. So she has a egg sac suspended in her web with some substrate on it and shes next to it constantly guarding it my questions are
How long until I should pull the egg sac?
I dont have room to keep these eggs unless some one wants to buy or even just take these little guys off of my hands so what do I do with them?
How long does it take to hatch?
There is barely any info on this species so it's like trail and error when keeping them lol

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I’d just let it hatch. Then when time comes, rehouse spider into new enclosure and set the lil ones free.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
If this is a native species it would definitely be easiest to just set the babies free, but like NYAN said only if its native- don't want to go introducing new species. I also wouldn't pull the sac like you would with a T, just let it stay with the mother until the babies develop.

SmokinNightOwl

Arachnopeon
Ok well I'm afraid the babies would climb the enclosure or I wouldn't b able to find them all or whatever or they would get out and it's a native speceis I caught her in my house actually I'm afraid they would climb out of the air holea or something that's all. I just dont want to stress the mother so I will let it hatch and collect the mother and set the enclosure outside and empty it out. Would that b best??? What do u guys think???

Btw thanks for your help I think I will let them hatch and go free. Cause I really care for the mother shes amazing I love watching her and shes such a chill and cool Spooder that's why I'm willing to do what it takes not to stress her out I would hate to have to temporarily move her while I let the babies go free but it is what it is oh can the babies climb the plastic I mean the enclosure is pretty big and tall so I would think they wouldn't b able to get through the top at all I actually bought this enclosure at the exotic pet store instead of making it like my other ones

One more thing my male since I caught him has been acting strange and wont eat live crickets it's almost he becomes friends with them when I put a live one in like he will try and catch and miss and then just go like whatever idk it's just strange

Do u think she will eat while shes guarding her eggs

Never mind on the last one she caught that cricket like a champ I swear she is always down for food I think I'm gonna finally give her a name so Sophia is her name now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
One more thing my male since I caught him has been acting strange and wont eat live crickets it's almost he becomes friends with them when I put a live one in like he will try and catch and miss and then just go like whatever idk it's just strange
That's normal for mature males; they don't have much of an appetite. If you're trying to extend his lifespan, make sure he always has access to water.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Take an old pair of sheer nylons and stretch them over the enclosure to cover the air holes. They won’t restrict airflow, but will keep the babies from escaping.

Veles

Arachnobaron
as soon as the little things hatch, release them. keeping so many of them will be a hassle.