My gorgeous Avic avic. Morticia 🖤

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Can we see a photo of the entire cage so that we might assess whether it is set up correctly for this species of spider?? It looks a bit barren in there.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
*zooms out to critter carrier*

Don't worry guys, the associates at Petsmart told me this is professional.

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
@Primate95 Please don’t take us all messing around over here as we are trying to cut you down or make you feel like a bad keeper. We all joke on here when we see husbandry that’s off, we just want the best for your specimen. That spider would be happier than a clam if you added more substrate and put a nice piece of cork bark in there

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
What he said. I only make the joke because we just got our 2nd Avic yesterday as we found it at about 4" shoved into a tiny critter keeper. Suprise T!

Primate95

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, no worries I like to joke myself. But as I am new to this species any helpful info would be great. As far as her home I did as much research as possible. For the time frame she came to me. Any tips would be extremely helpful as she is much different than my other two.

20201030_044217.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Enclosure:
Taller than wide
Leafy hide with flat cork bark reaching near to the top
water dish up top, and one down on substrate
cross ventilation

Primate95

Arachnopeon
I have all of my babies in 10 gallon structures with South African roots/branches giving a safe feel with all organic moss as cover

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I have all of my babies in 10 gallon structures with South African roots/branches giving a safe feel with all organic moss as cover
I'm not sure what your other two babies are, but avic's are arboreal and require height over width.

Primate95

Arachnopeon
Enclosure:
Taller than wide
Leafy hide with flat cork bark reaching near to the top
water dish up top, and one down on substrate
cross ventilation
Can you please give a lil more detail as to what you mean bye water rock up top ?

My other two are " mexican red leg " and stripped leg

20201009_220204.jpg

Primate95

Arachnopeon
20201009_220451.jpg

20201009_220451.jpg
this is our newest avic's enclosure. as for the water dishes, there's the white one on bottom, and we hot glued another up top, since they stay up towards the top of the enclosure most of the time.
I love the enclosed very nice. If you don't mind me asking what is the height and all around dimension ?

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
6x8x14, it's about $30. I would recommend looking into it, as I foresee complications later down the road if your lil girl doesn't have the height she requires. the tanks you have would be good for adult terrestrials, but A Avics are arboreal.

Primate95

Arachnopeon
6x8x14, it's about $30. I would recommend looking into it, as I foresee complications later down the road if your lil girl doesn't have the height she requires. the tanks you have would be good for adult terrestrials, but A Avics are arboreal.
Thank you very much for all of youre help and information I will be going as soon as I get off work today to redo her enclosure. Giving them what they need most is most important I will post pics tonight of her new home 🤗

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Thank you very much for all of youre help and information I will be going as soon as I get off work today to redo her enclosure. Giving them what they need most is most important I will post pics tonight of her new home 🤗
Of course! Send pics later! I love enclosure building time.

Primate95

Arachnopeon
Of course! Send pics later! I love enclosure building time.
Ok so I have contacted every pet supply store within a 50 mile radius of my city and none of them have a enclosure with the height I am seeking all of the vertical they have are 200 plus and ginormous. Do you have any suggestions or do you think it would hurt her to wait on shipping through Amazon?

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I think you'd be okay to just get something shipped. If there's any stores nearby that sell containers, they don't have to be specifically for animals. Some people use food storage containers, or plastic shoeboxes. Sometimes we just have to think about outside the box, pardon the pun, and modify a container ourselves to make it useable.