my goliath wont eat

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok i bought a goliath bird eater baby yesterday and i've had it about 36 hours now and it hasn't ate, ive offered it meal worms, crickets, and eartworms it will not eat. it doesnt look like its about to molt or anything. i don't know whats wrong with it. any advice on baby goliath birdeaters would be apreciated thanks

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Leave It Alone.

Many T's need an acclimation period before they will eat when put into a new enclosure. Also, 36 hrs is not a long time for a T to go without food. I have had tarantulas go for over 6 months without food and they suffered no ill effects.

Relax, take a deep breath and let your T get used to it's new home.

Scott

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Agreed....It is not at all abnormal for a T to refuse food for several weeks (or even several months) from time to time. Several possible reasons could account for this. Number one, in your case especially, is that they need an acclimation period before they feel comfortable in their new homes. Another likely reason is an impending molt. T blondis molt frequently at this size/age, so I would not rule this out, either.
Just keep an eye on her, offering her food weekly, and she will eat when she's ready.

Our 20+ year old Rosie once went almost a year without food, and she is now still sitting happily in my bedroom...So I would not worry a bit ;)

Good luck, and let us know when she decides she's hungry

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm with Scott.
Let it have time to get used to it's new home.
Pestering it with things will only stress it out.

It's like moving into a new house.
You get in, get unpacked and HAVE to have some time to go. "Wheeeeew." And Just settle in.

That little T has had a mad adventure of being baught, transported, toppled and tilted. and is just waiting for the wolrd to stop spinning and settle down.

Don't worry.
Most likely once the little critter settles in. It Won;t STOP eating.

They just eat and grow and eat and grow and eat and grow.......

In a few months you might just be posting. ""My Goliath Won't Stop Eating!""

I know ours is like a mini food black hole. EVERYTHING gets sucked into it.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok, it still hasn't ate its been almost a week now I was just wondering how long can a 1" baby go without food, and it has a bald spot on its abdomin the skin is cinnamon in color, so i dont think its about to molt. my question is how often do babies molt and how long can they go without food. As far as activity she has been very active and drinks water fine. so im not too worried about its health I just don't want it to starve thanks for your help

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by mebebraz
whats the substrate?
temp?
humidity?
Was just gonna ask that. :)

How big are the things your feeding it?

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the temp. stays aroud 75 and I have 80% of the lid covered with seran wrap to keep the humidity up, I used some eco-earth I think was the name of it that i got from the pet store its shredded coconut hulls it retains moisture really well. I think im doing everything right as far as housing I have a half log retreat it seems to like being in there. It'll come out about once a day to drink water from the water dish it appears healthy. and the crickets are about a half inch. the meal worms are probably just under an inch long. i got the pet store guy to order me smaller crickets but im not sure if he'll eat them either. again any info would be apreciated thanks

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my goliath a bit warmer. About 80-85.
Try dicing up the mealworm.
And just let him aclimate.
He might trin down food for a while yet.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My T.Blondie ate a mealworm the first day I got her. She ate like crazy untill 2/5/2003. She hasn't eaten since then. Do you guys think she could be in Pre-molt????? Ow. I've never seen her drinking BTW, is that normal?????

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok she finally ate yesterday, I got the small crickets from the pet shop. and I put her back in the little cup thing that she came in with one and in about an hour it was gone, she has allready ate three in the last 24 hours so I guess I just needed smaller food thanks for all your help. I'll keep you posted about any other problems I might have... thanks again