My Glossy Black Pinklegs

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Awesome man, congrats on the babies! Hope they all do well for you! :)

Wait, I wasn't aware this species was in US culture!? Have people bred them here, and do you have enough to attempt breeding yours?
I got them as 1" babies. Quite a slow start. I have had them just over a year and they are close to 4". Skinny species. They are probably too young to sex reliably but I'm fairly certain I have two females and one male. I have contacted the seller with questions about their source but I don't get many answers. He is unsure if he will be able to get more. I love them! They have very long striped legs.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I got them as 1" babies. Quite a slow start. I have had them just over a year and they are close to 4". Skinny species. They are probably too young to sex reliably but I'm fairly certain I have two females and one male. I have contacted the seller with questions about their source but I don't get many answers. He is unsure if he will be able to get more. I love them! They have very long striped legs.
Well keep us updated on them, really hope you can breed them! :D One of these days I'm gonna have to get into the millipede hobby, right now I don't have enough rotten wood at my disposal, but one day...

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I am getting a species right now that I have been searching for, for ages, this will technically be my first real jump into the hobby. I am making a relatively good substrate but am not 100% positive. I would love some input from @mickiem ?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Well keep us updated on them, really hope you can breed them! :D One of these days I'm gonna have to get into the millipede hobby, right now I don't have enough rotten wood at my disposal, but one day...
They seem to be very sturdy. I thought you were already a millipeep! I have an abundance of rotten wood; I'll share. ;)

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I am getting a species right now that I have been searching for, for ages, this will technically be my first real jump into the hobby. I am making a relatively good substrate but am not 100% positive. I would love some input from @mickiem ?
You flatter me! There are lot's of good recipes out there. I tagged you in a post where I put my "recipe". What species are you getting? I'm excited!

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I am getting my long sought after pillipine grey-blue millipedes. I have found someone who has a small amount and is selling them. They definitely hurt the pocket book (even at his reduced price) but will be so worth it in the end because I have been searching for these guys for years, just always seem to miss them. I have been thinking about doing an all natural compost soil like you did, I also plan to mix in some coco coir, some moss (though I was thinking about putting some layers up top), and I will be collecting some local safe oak leaves and rotted oak and using most of this after pastuerization. Still not sure on sand or calcium...?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
They seem to be very sturdy. I thought you were already a millipeep! I have an abundance of rotten wood; I'll share. ;)
That's good to hear, good luck with them! :)

Well I've got a culture that consists of two different tiny Julid species, but I'm not sure that really makes me a millipeep lol! I've certainly done a lot of reading up on them though, I own Orin's "Millipeds in Captivity", and have read lots of threads on multiple forums about keeping them. The one really cool millipede species I've kept were those Motyxia cf. tiemanni, those were awesome! Sadly the eggs mine produced never hatched, nor did anyone else's... :(

Aww thanks lol! I'm really trying to make a whole bunch of fermented sawdust for some wood eating invertebrates, as it's more sustainable and cost effective for me than buying wood from others. I've made some before, but this time around I'm having a HUGE amount of trouble getting the mixture to do anything that constitutes fermentation! :shifty: Of course this had to happen the one time I try to ferment a large batch... I had to buy some rotten wood from a friend recently for my Pyrophorus click beetles because I can't get the dang stuff to rot!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
+
I am getting my long sought after pillipine grey-blue millipedes. I have found someone who has a small amount and is selling them. They definitely hurt the pocket book (even at his reduced price) but will be so worth it in the end because I have been searching for these guys for years, just always seem to miss them. I have been thinking about doing an all natural compost soil like you did, I also plan to mix in some coco coir, some moss (though I was thinking about putting some layers up top), and I will be collecting some local safe oak leaves and rotted oak and using most of this after pastuerization. Still not sure on sand or calcium...?
I put bird grit in my substrate mix and I also grind up a few cuttlefish bones. I recently found a ground oyster shell and I will add that as well. I am sure you know this, but Philippine Blues need extra calcium. I have a salt shaker with ground cuttlefish bone (and now I will add the ground oyster shell) and I sprinkle the top of their enclosure once a week. I usually keep sphagnum moss at one end of the enclosure (the end I spray). I boil it first. :rolleyes:

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
That's great to know, I will definitely add the calcium then! I have plenty of things to use.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
How are the Black Pink Legs coming along? How big are they now? Hope you're able to breed them again in the near future!

Thanks

feelahthetigress

Arachnopeon
[QUOTE/]Aww thanks lol! I'm really trying to make a whole bunch of fermented sawdust for some wood eating invertebrates, as it's more sustainable and cost effective for me than buying wood from others. I've made some before, but this time around I'm having a HUGE amount of trouble getting the mixture to do anything that constitutes fermentation! :shifty: Of course this had to happen the one time I try to ferment a large batch... I had to buy some rotten wood from a friend recently for my Pyrophorus click beetles because I can't get the dang stuff to rot![/QUOTE]

I keep my fermenting sawdust in tubs on top of the dryer...I think the heat may help. Really, though, I just keep it there because it's a convenient empty space - if the warmth helps, then that's a happy accident.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
How are the Black Pink Legs coming along? How big are they now? Hope you're able to breed them again in the near future!

Thanks
They are slow growers! I have no idea how many there are; I haven't seen more than a few at a time. I am cautious not to dig in the substrate. After a month or two I will feel better about digging a little. I am so curious, its killing me!

Redmont

The collector
Man I would love some pink legs one day I though mrcrackerpants used to sell them I could be mistaken, but I though he had a fairly large colony of them. I wonder why he doesn't sell them any more?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Man I would love some pink legs one day I though mrcrackerpants used to sell them I could be mistaken, but I though he had a fairly large colony of them. I wonder why he doesn't sell them any more?
I think he still has them, just none ready for sale. @MrCrackerpants

mickiem

Arachnoprince
So this is twice as big as the last baby pic. Lots of legs I also saw a tiny pedeling so maybe she had two clutches? The mamma comes up and eats everything I offer. She's ravenous from all that egg production IMG_3340.JPG

Redmont

The collector
When they get to selling size like a inch or 2 I'd love to buy some, or trade

mickiem

Arachnoprince
When they get to selling size like a inch or 2 I'd love to buy some, or trade
I'm expecting if all goes well they should grow large enough by May. That is if they mature and there are lots. I think there are over 100 right now; we'll see how many make it to adulthood.