My Glossy Black Pinklegs

mickiem

Arachnoprince
IMG_2910.JPG A little history here. I have pursued Pinklegs for quite a long time. I was able to acquire a mature pair in April. I was thrilled. The male was very weak when they arrived and unfortunately died a few days later. The female went underground and stayed there. I didn't see evidence of her coming up at all. But the enclosure was set up with fresh substrate so I knew I had done all I could for her.

She had been under for two months and I was getting ready to leave for a 3 week holiday so I gently dug to check on her. I found her in a brooding cell on a ton of eggs. I was excited (to say the least) but I knew the eggs could be duds.

Today I checked the enclosure and first I noticed tunnels so I was glad she was active again. But then I saw two tiny babies. I am over the moon. I have absolutely no experience with this species so this will be a learning curve for me.

Happy dance!

Last edited:

Hermes

Arachnosquire
Congrats man! I've been searching for this species in the American hobby for years, I had a female a loooong time ago but I lost her and most of my collection to a parasitic mite infestation. Hope all goes well!

keks

Arachnobaron
Congratulations to your surprise-offspring, they are cute ^^. Now I ask google about this species :rolleyes:.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Are you going to put any up for sale anytime? I have been looking for this species. They will be gone quick. By the way, this species larvae are very hardy and can grow to two inches in nine months with good feeding. There should be at least a hundred more of them, so have a lot of food in the cage for them!

Good luck!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Congratulations to your surprise-offspring, they are cute ^^. Now I ask google about this species :rolleyes:.
From what I have seen, you shouldn't have much problem obtaining them. The are very scarce in the US, though. An easy species to keep, I have heard and fun because they are arboreal.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Congrats man! I've been searching for this species in the American hobby for years, I had a female a loooong time ago but I lost her and most of my collection to a parasitic mite infestation. Hope all goes well!
Yikes about the parasites! What kind was it, how did you know and did you discover it too late to do anything, or was there anything you could have done? That is such a nightmare for me. I quarantine new things but I am not sure that would even help.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Are you going to put any up for sale anytime? I have been looking for this species. They will be gone quick. By the way, this species larvae are very hardy and can grow to two inches in nine months with good feeding. There should be at least a hundred more of them, so have a lot of food in the cage for them!

Good luck!
I wouldn't sell anything before it was stable; a few inches or so. My AGBs are only 10 months, but at 2" I wouldn't be concerned about shipping them. That said, I have a long way to get the Pinklegs to that level of maturity!

Good to know they grow fast. I have heard they are fairly hardy. Other aboreal species that I keep are doing well. When I dug for her, I saw at least 100 eggs, so fingers crossed they were viable. Thanks for your input! I'll post progress here and will remember you asked for them.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Are arboreal millipedes like actually arboreal? climb trees and such? That'd be so amazing to have <3

keks

Arachnobaron
From what I have seen, you shouldn't have much problem obtaining them. The are very scarce in the US, though. An easy species to keep, I have heard and fun because they are arboreal.
At the moment I have shopping-stop :rolleyes:. But they are on my list. I have an empty terrarium 60 cm x 40 cm x 70 (?) cm that I want to set up for arboreal millipedes :).

I wish you the best for all eggs and pedelings. I always enjoy your postings :).

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Are arboreal millipedes like actually arboreal? climb trees and such? That'd be so amazing to have <3
Yes, there are arboreal millipedes in nature that you will never find on the ground, only in brush and in trees, but in captivity they do fine in a terrestrial habitat.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I wouldn't sell anything before it was stable; a few inches or so. My AGBs are only 10 months, but at 2" I wouldn't be concerned about shipping them. That said, I have a long way to get the Pinklegs to that level of maturity!

Good to know they grow fast. I have heard they are fairly hardy. Other aboreal species that I keep are doing well. When I dug for her, I saw at least 100 eggs, so fingers crossed they were viable. Thanks for your input! I'll post progress here and will remember you asked for them.
Thanks! I'll be watching!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I think most arboreal species still go underground to breed or molt, but they do hang out in the trees a lot. I have T. aoutii and as babies, they stayed under most of the time but they are starting to climb a bit. I have adult AGBs and they stay under more than topside. Sometimes they coil up on a log, but still stay under mostly. I think the Pinklegs might be even more arboreal. Not sure what draws them to the tree or the substrate. Still learning! I think the Narceus americanus are often found in trees.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have to start adding arboreals soon, after I get my current species I am searching for.

AGBs I could not imagine being super arboreal and makes sense what you explain their behavior being as since they are so huge.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I have to start adding arboreals soon, after I get my current species I am searching for.

AGBs I could not imagine being super arboreal and makes sense what you explain their behavior being as since they are so huge.
But their legs are like long strands of super-Velcro. They could certainly hang on! :bookworm:

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I haven't come in contact with an AGB since I was a little girl, no one kept them around me when they were being imported and now they aren't.

Hermes

Arachnosquire
Yikes about the parasites! What kind was it, how did you know and did you discover it too late to do anything, or was there anything you could have done? That is such a nightmare for me. I quarantine new things but I am not sure that would even help.
I found it a little too late, I only saw them when I took a macro photo of one of my millipedes, and then I did it for all of them and found the mites everywhere. I treated them by filling a cup up with a small amount of water, and gently shaking the cup to remove the mites. It removed them, but most of the millipedes were too far gone at that point. All I have left of my original collection is my AGB.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
It's so sad because most ways we treat mites for other animals it can't be used often for insects.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Awesome man, congrats on the babies! Hope they all do well for you! :)

T. aoutii
Wait, I wasn't aware this species was in US culture!? Have people bred them here, and do you have enough to attempt breeding yours?