My girl wants to get into Tanantulas

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah but my point was that my 4 avic avic females are my most defensive avics...more so than my 2 adult female urticans even.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My B. smithi is pretty laid back and has not kicked one setae since I have had her (knock on wood). But I agree that she is probably outside the norm.
It just goes to show that variances can happen outside of the usual temperament of a species. A personal example is a Grammostola pulchripes adult female I bought within my first year as a beginner. To this date, it has to be one of the craziest tarantulas I've owned. It would run across the cage towards my hand if I did maintenance and not only threat posed but would do the slap bite motion. I ended up selling this "monster" ;) because I wasn't ready for this level of defensive behaviour at the time...and this species is often noted as a good beginner.

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
It just goes to show that variances can happen outside of the usual temperament of a species. A personal example is a Grammostola pulchripes adult female I bought within my first year as a beginner. To this date, it has to be one of the craziest tarantulas I've owned. It would run across the cage towards my hand if I did maintenance and not only threat posed but would do the slap bite motion. I ended up selling this "monster" ;) because I wasn't ready for this level of defensive behaviour at the time...and this species is often noted as a good beginner.
Wow ..my friend has one and she is sweet..she like just climbs right out of the tank on her hand ..sorry too hear that .

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow ..my friend has one and she is sweet..she like just climbs right out of the tank on her hand ..sorry too hear that .
Yeah, it was unfortunate. I think I might be past the "trauma" enough now almost a decade later, to get a replacement G. pulchripes. Fingers crossed that it will have a normal temperament. :embarrassed::happy:

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
Yeah, it was unfortunate. I think I might be past the "trauma" enough now almost a decade later, to get a replacement G. pulchripes. Fingers crossed that it will have a normal temperament. :embarrassed::happy:
Hehe they're have different temperament..had a jumping spider who bite me so matter what I did and my other female was so friendly lol