My Ghost Mantis is not eating

SeaaWitch

Arachnopeon
Hello all. My ghost mantis is fully grown & I have had her since she was a nymph L2. Her last molt was Oct 10th. She has been eating and moving around normally until recently. Her arms have been getting discoloured & she moves a lot slower now, she still has enough strength to hang but she has plopped once. I have been leaving flies for her but I find the flies dead and on the ground with no bite in them. I have also tried hand feeding her which usually works but she leans way back and gives me a look to stop. I am worried because I have no evidence of her eating and its been a while since I last saw her eat. Any advice on feeding? I am worried and I wanted to ask if anyone knows how long after their final molt do they usually live so I can spend more quality time with her. She really is the sweetest thing I have ever owned & I love her dearly. I am not ready for my bby girl to go but if it is near time I would like to emotionally prepare myself. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Hello, do you know her age roughly? Their average life expectancy in captivity is only a year sadly.

Braden

Arachnoknight
Unfortunately what you describe sounds like her time is coming to an end. I can't say forsure, but they don't always live a full year. Spend as much time as you can with her. I too raised a nymph and I loved her, I miss her to this day.

SeaaWitch

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately what you describe sounds like her time is coming to an end. I can't say forsure, but they don't always live a full year. Spend as much time as you can with her. I too raised a nymph and I loved her, I miss her to this day.
Thank you for responding. I get so darn attached. They are the sweetest little things.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Some live up to a year and some lives 5 to 6 months... :(

My friend had a female that lived 14 months...

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Wow, thank you for sharing! Gives me hope.
Currently I have a Creobroter gemmatus (Jeweled Flower Mantis) and a Hymenopus coronatus (Orchid Mantis) and they're are great ! Just amazing little creatures... waiting for the first molt to pick up my Helvia cardinalis (Yellow Orchid Mantis)... They are here for a short time and you just learn to make the best of it :)

SeaaWitch

Arachnopeon
Currently I have a Creobroter gemmatus (Jeweled Flower Mantis) and a Hymenopus coronatus (Orchid Mantis) and they're are great ! Just amazing little creatures... waiting for the first molt to pick up my Helvia cardinalis (Yellow Orchid Mantis)... They are here for a short time and you just learn to make the best of it :)
WOW! That is awesome! Where do you get your babies from? You're so right, I have to really make the best of it. Thank you.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I have 2 friends that are breeders here and I wait to see what they have... :)

SeaaWitch

Arachnopeon
Any updates on your Ghost ?
Yes! She laid an ootheca! She doesn't have a mate so there aren't any babies, just an empty ootheca. She is somewhat back to normal just a little slower and her belly is back to normal. I cried thinking she was going to die after she laid the ootheca but it has been weeks since then.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Some live up to a year and some lives 5 to 6 months... :(

My friend had a female that lived 14 months...
Mine is 14 months too. I keep waiting for her time to come, but she's acting exactly the same as she did six months ago.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Yes! She laid an ootheca! She doesn't have a mate so there aren't any babies, just an empty ootheca. She is somewhat back to normal just a little slower and her belly is back to normal. I cried thinking she was going to die after she laid the ootheca but it has been weeks since then.
That's really nice to hear... at least now you knew why she slowed down for a bit. :)