My geniculata is not a geniculata

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So in Jan 2016 I got a geniculata sling at the Pomona expo. Well, in the 14 months since, it has molted maybe 4 times and barely grown. It is also terrified of any moving food, no matter how small. Will only eat prekilled. We finally got another geniculata sling to make up for this one's deficiencies. When it arrived, I was surprised to see it already had faint leg bands. My other one does not!

Here is the sling that doesn't grow or hunt:
IMG_5408.JPG

Here is the new geniculata sling:
IMG_5394.JPG

What could the nongrowing sling be? Some kind of Aphonopelma?

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Honestly as small as it is, it could be hundreds of possibilities. Time will tell once it gets bigger and gets its adult colors in. Maybe you could ask the person you got it from what they had bred and maybe get an idea of what it could be.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Putting my money on p irminia.. don't know why but reminds me of some of my past specimens.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It looks to have a patch or urticating hairs in the pic so that would count Psalmopoeus out.
It looks almost identical to a Acanthoscurria antillensis sling I used to have and they grow slow like a brachy and don't have a great feeding response either

Devin B

Arachnobaron
That honestly looks just like my B. Smithi sling. Also my B smithi sling doesnt like to hunt and is a very slow grower. However, as Goodlukwitthat has said, it could be a variety of T's.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Looks like my B. boehmei sling, but it could be lots of different things. You could always jump-start the identification process by being bitten and then cross-referencing your symptoms with the bite reports of all known species.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Looks like my B. boehmei sling, but it could be lots of different things. You could always jump-start the identification process by being bitten and then cross-referencing your symptoms with the bite reports of all known species.
This is probably the best way i like this guys idea

basin79

ArachnoGod
Are there a lot of T's that still could be a sling after 14 months? I've heard of slow growing but bloody Nora.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, it definitely has urticating hairs. And I've been raising Brachys (albiceps and smithi) during the same time frame, and they went from 1/2" to 2". So this little one is WAY slower. That's why I was thinking Aphonopelma.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Honestly as small as it is, it could be hundreds of possibilities. Time will tell once it gets bigger and gets its adult colors in. Maybe you could ask the person you got it from what they had bred and maybe get an idea of what it could be.
I have no idea which seller I got this from. So no dice there.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
To be honest it looks like my L parahybana sling.

Edit- I didnt see you have had it for so long. Ignore what I said completely.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Wow, my 2 Aphonopelma anax slings grew twice that size in a year.
I heard that this species is one of the slowest growing Ts and at this point I believe it. If I would've known it'd take this long I would've spent extra for an adult even though he/she was a 1/4" freebie :p