My GBB sling not webbing?

DeathMarch6

Arachnopeon
What I do when feeding is put in a prey item and leave it over night. If the T hasn't eaten it by the next day I take it out. Then I wait a week and then try again. I wouldn't leave food in longer then a day. If the T is hungry it'll eat by then and you don't want to risk the T being hurt it it's molting by the cricket.
No I mean I tried then took it out then tried again 4 days later and still not hungry. I wouldn't leave the live cricket in there to stress out my sing.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've sunk the sling water dish into the substrate so it's ground level and keep it shallow to prevent drowning.
Tarantulas can not drown. You could put an entire pond in an enclosure and it still won't drown.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
You have made a nice choice for a T. I love mine.

As already mentioned by others, make sure the substrate is completely dry and provide it a water bowl.

Get some additional pieces of cork bark and give it some points where it can do webbing. It may still take a while before it does start, but you will know it when this spider does its thing. They go crazy on the webbing.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Of course a sling can drown. Don't be so silly
Yes, if you held it's book lung openings underwater it can drown. Otherwise it will not break the surface tension of the water and can walk across it. So on it's own it, with a water dish, can't drown.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Yes, if you held it's book lung openings underwater it can drown. Otherwise it will not break the surface tension of the water and can walk across it. So on it's own it, with a water dish, can't drown.
Does it actually drown or does it just lose access to air? From my understanding of what various members have described is that water can't go into the book lungs unless the spider has other physical problems (bad molt, injury, etc.).

Last edited:

DeathMarch6

Arachnopeon
I take your points into consideration, being a newbie I've read lots of various viewpoints on whether a T can drown and as I can't come to a factual awnser I'd rather not run the risk. I do leave a dish just one that is purposely made for slings.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Why add them for Avics? They can web the walls just like any other T. They are not the only T to hide in fake plants or funnels made form webbing.

In videos of GBBs in the wild, I've seen them use the base of a bush to web off of. They made heavy web tunnels to hide in and hunt for prey. Why not give them the same thing in their enclosure? You could make the argument that the box is is like the bush and is the only anchor points that is needed. This would be true if we never opened the lid. They could use all six sides and web just as good with no extra webbing points. However, we do take off the lid and that usually will cause a large portion of the webbing to fall without anchor points. It's no accident that in all my enclosures the hanging leaf anchor points get webbed up before any open areas with just walls. It's just easier for the T to do this than run webbing all way across the enclosure.

Some Ts don't web much so they don't need them but I think anchor points are beneficial for any webbing tarantulas regardless if it's a arboreal or terrestrial.
i think theres too much emphasize on them. theyre not essential.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I take your points into consideration, being a newbie I've read lots of various viewpoints on whether a T can drown and as I can't come to a factual awnser I'd rather not run the risk. I do leave a dish just one that is purposely made for slings.
where have you seen anyone that had a sling drown? my 1/2" slings have water dishes, my b albo straight ran over hers yesterday to get to her burrow when i opened the cage. they walk on water. what kind of water dishes are made for slings?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I use full size disposable paper cups for my full size terrestrial T's. I use Monopoly game hotels and plastic thimbles for really small slings in the small deli cups. I use 2.5 to 5 dram vials for all of my mid size slings. You should set it up based on what works well for you. The one problem I have seen with wider shallow containers is that evaporation occurs much quicker than a tall narrow container (which means more maintenance if you collect up multiple T's). My 2.5 dram vials only get a refill (or replacement) once per week.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
We were talking about GBBs and you said that webbing points are not essential. I was wondering what you thought was essential for keeping GBBs.
water dish, appropriate caging, food, dry sub?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I regret that I did not put my initial GBB's in a larger container with lots of webbing points. I put my first ones in 32 oz cups with a single cork bark hide. My new one went into one of those large snapware containers with four times the space and lots of cork bark pieces and a couple plastic plants. It gives the T lots of area to stay busy doing what it likes to do. But perhaps the bigger enjoyment is for the owner because it is a fun thing to watch the transition over time. I wonder if someone has done a time lapse video of this.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
water dish, appropriate caging, food, dry sub?
Other than a hide I guess I can agree that's the minimal you need for a GBB.

I don't think someone needs to build an elaborate framework for their GBB to web on but extra anchor points do help. The first GBB I got came in a enclosure with nothing but substrate. It had some minor corner webbing on one side and a heavy mat across the floor of the enclosure. It was healthy and ate really well. When I put it in a larger enclosure (with the anchor points) it webbed up the webbing points first. Starting with the ones near the hide. Since then it has built large tunnels and heavy webs off of those points.

Do they have to have webbing points to survive? No, they can make due without them. Will it benefit them to have extra stuff to web on in the enclosure? I think it does.

We do the same thing for Avics. Lots of anchor points to help them build their web tunnels are agreed on by most people on here. Why not give the same benefit to other webbing Ts that clearly make use of them?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Does it actually drown or does it just lose access to air? From my understanding of what various members have described is that water can't go into the book lungs unless the spider has other physical problems (bad molt, injury, etc.).
I'm sorry, I missed your post. I honestly don't know if Ts can take fluids in through their book lungs or not. So perhaps it is smothering them rather than them drowning. I'm not sure.

Maybe someone can post some info on it. @AphonopelmaTX