My GBB ate her food not in once

mozkaynak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello,
I am neither beginner nor experienced T keeper. Today, I noticed a strange eating behavior of one of my T. I just want to share it and get your comments.

I tossed a cricket in the enclosure of my 2" female GBB this afternoon. As expected, she grabbed the food quick. She kept the food in her mouth for 2-4 minutes and then released the dead prey on her webbing. Then she took a walk for about 5 minutes around the cage and then grabbed the food again and finished it.

All the time I observed in the past, my two other Ts and this T were keeping the prey at their mouth all the time until they complete finish it.

I just want to make sure there is nothing to worry about this new behavior.

Thanks in adance.

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nothing at all to worry about. sometimes animals put down their food and come back to it later.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah thats fine. my Ts kill their food, then drop it, then wait a few minutes, then web it a little, then dig in!!!{D

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
I wonder have you been power feeding? usually I feed once a week and none of my T's ever leave the table.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've seen a few of my T's do that. Drop it, web over it, walk around, come back and eat it. Normal.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Maybe your T is hoarding. Or in other words setting it to the side waiting for another meal to come by. Just a thought. :D

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes Normal as they age..

What I've found is that as they age their feeding "habits" tend to change.

My 3" B. smithi, who just recently molted about 3 weeks ago, took her first roach of the cycle this evening and instead of just overpowering it by force she more gently held it and presumably injected with venom enough to disable the prey very quickly. The entire time she was laying a pad of webbing and promptly dropped the near dead/immobilized roach on top and proceeded to web over the entire thing as if to secure it for later.

This is something I've never seen her do but at time or two on other species I care for but what was more remarkable was she then went to her water cap, crouched down for a drink (again something I've never seen her do) for a bit then head right back to finish up her meal.

Me thinks my fine lady prefers to start her meal with a nice glass of water. :)

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is something I've never seen her do but at time or two on other species I care for but what was more remarkable was she then went to her water cap, crouched down for a drink (again something I've never seen her do) for a bit then head right back to finish up her meal.

Me thinks my fine lady prefers to start her meal with a nice glass of water. :)
My ~5" N. coloratovillosus does that sometimes. Makes it really interesting to watch! :D