My G.rosea is webing her pet pal?

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She is covering the substrate and fliped over her hide out . I read somewhere this webing of the substrate means they hate it,But is this true? Does anyone reall know if G. rosea does this in there burrows in the wild ? The substrate I use is peat dry since are humidity runs about 50-60% naturally. Has anyone else ever had this problem ,and is it any reason to worry?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i dont think so..

some of mine weblike crazy. Ive only had one who flipped over her little hide, but i think she might have done it accidentally, and when i put it back, she really hasn't left it...

sometimes if they dont like the substrate, and they're in a cage, they'll climb to the top of the cage and not even touch the substrate.. other times they'll web it to how they like it..

your's may just be making it to it's liking.

no worries.

try putting the hide up again, and if it flips it over, leave it :) They'll move the furniture around how they want it! Thats the first thing you gotta realise about Ts -- they'll do what they want and when they want it with no regard for it. It makes the whole thing alot more fun to watch =D

good luck and welcome to the list!
peace
dave

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
TY. Dave thanx for the info . I need all I can get being a newbie to keeping T's.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sure thing! The most important thing to remember is to go ahead and ask questions whenever you're not sure...

you may get some crazy responses, but fear not, for those crazy responses have been forged in reality :)

in other words, we're a crazy bunch!
peace
dave

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well all the people here seem cool.I've been reading many of the post to get alot of info.This is the best message board for tarantulas I've seen.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i love it here. i'm always here. the few days i wasn't online i missed like SO much and was tortured. i had people saying 'why didn't you respond to my questions?' i'm still finding some that i didn't ever see b/c after a few days, they threads weren't listed as new anymore. :p

it's sad. damn. i need a t-shirt.

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
My Rose does the exact same thing. She has done it on both types of substrate i have used the Eco Earth (Coconut Husk Stuff) and Peat/Vermiculate. From what I have read it is perfectly normal for them to do this. Kinda like a real spider how they usually always sit on their webs. Mine has never knocked her hide over though and actually has only used her hide like twice and that was when I first got her now she never hides she just lazes and relaxes out in the open which is nice. Anyways I wouldnt worry about it

Good Luck and yes Like Dave said ask questions whenever your not sure its better to be safe than sorry

Peace

TheDon

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Hoiw big is your enclosure? If it is on the small side the T may treat the entire enclosure as a burrow and therefore will web the whole thing up.

John
];')

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by atmosphere
She is covering the substrate and fliped over her hide out . I read somewhere this webing of the substrate means they hate it,But is this true? Does anyone reall know if G. rosea does this in there burrows in the wild ? The substrate I use is peat dry since are humidity runs about 50-60% naturally. Has anyone else ever had this problem ,and is it any reason to worry?
I'd agree that this behavior is quite normal and no cause to worry. But I'd also add that if the webbing is very heavy it may mean:

1) your tarantula is going to molt

2) your tarantula is getting ready to make an eggsac ('tis the season!) If the webbing starts working its way up the walls of the vivarium and taking a spherical shape, as in the picture of my T. blondi below, consult the Tarantula Keeper's Guide for proper care of eggsacs ;)

Joy

Last edited:

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have her in a 2.5 gallon pet pal like enclosure.I think its a she but im not sure she has not molted yet.Either way its not mature yet only about 3" span. But until she molts I can't get a good measurement . Rather grumpy for a T thats docile LOL. When I got her from the pet store I had to get her out of there set up myself. I put my hand flat nudged he/she's abdomin. Showed me the buisness end with front four legs reared real quik. Wild caught though so you can't blame her she has no clue whats going on and is only slowly becoming comfortable.But im glad I have her. I have only had her for 2 and 1/2 weeks,and she shows me new stuff everyday.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd be willing to bet that if we could put a tiny camera down any T hole in the wild, we'd see webbing from the top to the bottom.
I'm pretty sure they web up the whole burrow, kinda like a web tube that tree dwellers build. IMO :)

Ernie

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i feel so left out...(sigh) none of my Ts including my A. avic has webbed up anything.

oh sure, a food webbing now and again to wrap up leftovers but a real web? nothing in sight.

i say enjoy the massive webbings and take lots of pictures for those of us who pine for the silky threads missing from our lives. ;)