My Frozen Pinkie Mouse Trick

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Today I devised a trick to getting my Avicularia Avicularia to eat a dead pinky. I obviously thawed it in warm water. Then I placed it underneath the spiders perch where it normally hunts. Then I placed a couple crickets in the tank. The spider quickly snatched up a cricket and ate it. Then I urged a cricket on top of the mouse with a chopstick and when the spider sprang to attack it grabbed both the cricket and the mouse and ate them both.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
While your method has its merits, did you ever think to just put the dead pinky where the T can find it? :) Alot less work for you and it's always worked wonderfully for me. If they don't want it, they'll just pick it up and dump it away from them. I generally give them overnight to eat it. If they're not chewing away in the morning, I try to give it to another t or just toss it.

Scott

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Every time I have ever tried feeding a T a dead mouse it wont touch it. They always just sit there and walk over it or just think it is just anotehr part of the surroundings. This time he actually grabbed it as food.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
How long have you let the dead mouse sit in there for? Sometimes they wont take it unless the lights are off and there haven't been any disturbances in a while. That's why I leave them overnight. I think in all the times I've fed prekilled pinkies, I've had 2 rejected....

Scott

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
When you removed it and put in live prey did the T go for that? or did it not eat that either? Is it possible that your T was just not hungry?

Scott

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hmmmmm.... Very strange. Although actually, it's not that strange. Some T's just have different tastes. I've heard of stories of T's that wont take dead prey at all. I've heard stories of T's that will only eat certain types of prey as well. Maybe your T wasn't in the mood for the other other other white meat. ;)

Scott