My friendship so far with fang

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
At the moment fang isn't doing much just moving from one end of the ceiling to the other trying to settle in and I never actually see him move no matter how long I sit there and stare it doesn't make him move, this tells me you have to be very patient with spiders.

fang hasn't eaten yet I've had him about 4 days I've been half killing crickets but fang doesn't eat them so will probably try one that's not so squished by the tongs in a day or 2. however I did spill a bit of his water bowl when changing it and a few drops got him wet 😅

fang wasn't exactly angry but he had moved slightly and changed position so I will be more cautious when changing water or feeding if I could say there's one thing I need to improve on it's over worrying and patience.

the shop said don't feed for 48 hours and I've tried everyday since and he won't eat I know Ts don't eat a lot but I want to see him eat once out of curiosity and so I can make a note of his first feed and go from there.

Update: I left a live cricket with fang and when the cricket touched fang it bounced away. this may have annoyed fang slightly but it's encouraged him to come off the ceiling.

I was then told on one of my other threads to crush the crickets head and use the tongs I sorta nudged fang a little either with tongs or cricket due to shakey hands #phobia and he calmy went into warning pose. so I've left the cricket in front of him and I'm guessing the fact he didn't just munch it might mean he's not hungry and I think once I see fang take his food a few times I will be less shakey 🤣.

update: changed fangs water opened lid slightly too loud took my eyes off fang for a second as I opened it looked back and fang was back in his corner on the ceiling 😮 I've definitely been underestimating my new friend

Last edited by a moderator:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
What species is it? What type of enclosure? If it won’t eat give it a week or so, does it look to be in premolt.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Helpful to use punctuation, otherwise it’s hard to read,and some people won't bother to read it. This decreases the responses. Good luck with that

Last edited:

Polenth

Arachnobaron
The best thing right now would be to leave the enclosure for a week. No opening it up, no prodding the spider, no food, no water changes, no nothing. Tape the thing shut if it helps stop you from opening it. Then in a week, try another cricket (unless there's been a moult in that time, then hold off until the fangs harden).

Craig73

Arachnoangel
You should avoid nudging Fang to guide him to his meal. If he wants to eat he will find the cricket; just drop it close to him and leave it be. If not eaten in a day take it out and wait about a week. As long as his abdomen looks like a healthy size he’s good; they can go a long time without eating.

The threat pose is his way of saying back off and leave me alone. We all like our personal space, same is true for Fang.

You need to give him time to settle in, the more you annoy him the longer the whole process could take.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Helpful to use punctuation, otherwise it’s hard to read,and some people won't bother to read it. This decreases the responses. Good luck with that
Grammar police 👮 thought I lost them when I skipped town and left Facebook 🙄

What species is it? What type of enclosure? If it won’t eat give it a week or so, does it look to be in premolt.
He is a brachypelma boehmei I'll attach a photo I showed someone else a photo they said he looks dark on the abdomen and may be in pre molt but I'm not sure the photo is just after I got him out the tissue when he arrived the tissue did look damp in a few parts which I'm thinking may be why he looks a lil dark

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Grammar police 👮 thought I lost them when I skipped town and left Facebook 🙄
You can type virtually a single sentence, I don't care. Just giving you some C.C. in case you want more input. Quite a few people don't care how you type, and quite a few do, ie they won't, or don't have the time to decipher what you wrote. I read a SHORTER post than yours and couldn't figure out what the person meant.

Who the hell has time to go back and forth when something can be clearly stated the first time. :rolleyes:

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Its in a plastic tank with 2 doors on the lid I think it's 9 litre it's a rectangular shape I have another tanks that square but deeper but my issue with that tank is mesh lid which my spider can get stuck to and there's not much room for fang to roam which is why I've used the plastic tub

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I showed someone else a photo they said he looks dark on the abdomen and may be in pre molt
You can't tell from that angle, the "darkness" on the top of the abdomen is just the tarantula's mirror patch (a visible patch of urticating hairs), fang is pretty fat though and fat tarantulas don't need to eat.

A little illustrative guide to pre-moult below, the darkening that people often mention is only really noticeable in slings or tarantulas that have kicked hairs.

Bald vs pre-moult.jpg

there's not much room for fang to roam
You're trying to apply other animal logic to a tarantula, tarantulas don't need a lot of space, they're pretty sedentary by nature, I keep juveniles between 2 - 3.5 inches in 4.5L tubs.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
You can't tell from that angle, the "darkness" on the top of the abdomen is just the tarantula's mirror patch (a visible patch of urticating hairs), fang is pretty fat though and fat tarantulas don't need to eat.

A little illustrative guide to pre-moult below, the darkening that people often mention is only really noticeable in slings or tarantulas that have kicked hairs.

View attachment 367409

You're trying to apply other animal logic to a tarantula, tarantulas don't need a lot of space, they're pretty sedentary by nature, I keep juveniles between 2 - 3.5 inches in 4.5L tubs.
Thnx for info on molting I know my tanks a little big but I was under the impression my spider would be bigger when I got it 😅 but I thought id let fang stay in there he seems to like it. the other issue with my other tank is the drop would definitely kill fang which means I'd have to put a ridiculous amount of substrate in it like 3 quaters of the tank would just be substrate it's one of those exoterra ones the smaller square ones

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

View attachment 367409

Nice layout, just waiting for the container layout demonstrating one doesn't need to make their T box look like a 1920s Mafia gang victim.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
perhaps he wants to be the ee cummings of the tarantula world

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
that's nothing to laugh at nor be proud of. I suggest you get to know him.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
but you write poetry
I'm more of a lyricist than a poet but I love fang so much I write them specially for him only 😊 I won't even write lyrics or a poem for my MRS 🤣 trust me when I say fang is special to me