My friend's baby horse Echo

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This filly was rejected by mom.. who has some issue's with people or babies handling her... area's of privacy...
So when Echo was born, they did all they could to try to get mom to nurse the baby. They didn't get much of the required colostrum into her, but we all hope it is enough. IF not she will probably die.
But she is being raised near some calves and is on milk replacer for horses.
Here is Echo, a pinto, half arabian filly.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are a lot of horses cross-bred? A solid color of either brown or white would look nice, but this guy looks like a cow with a mane. I know some are spotted of course, but I belive those are differnt breeds also, then again, what do I know, horses aren't really a favorite of mine.

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She is absolutely adorable!! I hope she pulls through ok. Good luck!

Jen

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hope she did get enough in her, and i hope she does fine. she is absolutly stunning. do you have pictures of the sire and dam?

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
EAD,
Many breeds of horse have a natural splotchy coloring. In the US there is a specific registry for horses of this color pattern type.
They must be born of other specific registered parents to be called a Paint Horse.
All other horses that do not come from the specific registries use the spanish term, Pinto, which means the same thing, but the horses can be of any breeding.
Her specific cross breeds are, the sire is a PAINT, the dam or mare is an Arabian.
Other breeds have other versions of the splotching or spotting patterns.
The ones that have the genes that create small spots on either a dark or white coat are called Appaloosa. The spots are small about 1/2 inch to 3 or more inches in diameter and they are either on a white round circle that covers the horse's rear. OR are a blanket that covers the horse's entire back OR the horse looks like a dalmation.
There is the Danish Knabstruppers, British spotted pony and the Pony of the America's.
All or most breeds of horse have high levels of white, some more than others. And as with captive bred reptiles certain characteristics have been sought after and selective breeding has brought out certain traits.
A paint horse or pinto can come in three types or white/color combination.
Overo, which this filly is.
Tobiano, large amounts of white with large defined fields of color.
Tovero-combination of the two.
You also can have "roaning" or merleing of the color into the white like a blue merle dog... that is called Sabino. The sabino can be found on paint/pinto horses or horses that have a lot of white, but are generally solid colored.
Rabacino is a newer term used to describe horses with more arabic blood in them. They have the roaning around their bellies, legs and chests. But also have a "coon" tail.. or a lot of white hairs near the top and top sides of their tails.

Sorry to bore you!!
LOL

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not a bore at all.. I know quite a lot goes into horses, I admire the beauty of adults, but I think I'll stick to things smaller than I am.{D