*** My freshly molted Chaco Golden Knee! ***

ranglo211

Arachnopeon
Pretty stoked my T just molted. Thought I share it with you guys. Do you think it's too early to find out the sex? I am sooo curious. Please let me know what you think. Thanks :) Here's pics-

Attachments

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It's way to early for feeding! I'd get that cricket out of there and try again in a couple of weeks. If it was in there before and during the molt, you're lucky that guy didn't find and nibble on your spider mid molt! Needless to say, try and keep the feeders out during molt time.

Also, it looks female-ish. How big is it?
If you still have the molt, and it's big enough, you can be sure of it's sex by examining it. Even if she chewed it up, try anyway! She may have left the important bits intact.

ranglo211

Arachnopeon
Yes, I did take the cricket out already. I just threw him in there. Wasn't sure when it molted, it burrowed itself and I barely uncovered it today. Just checking if he/she was hungry that's all. Good looking out though!.... btw, its probably almost 2".

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Uncovered it as you dug it out?, or did it leave its burrow on its own?. You really should try and let your T be, especially if its in molt recovery as that's when they are most prone to damage, never dig your spider out its burrow unless the situation is life threating. As far as sexit looks pretty female to me. Great looking juvie, can't wait for my sling to molt its been two weeks and shes still in her burrow....time will tell.

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yes, I did take the cricket out already. I just threw him in there. Wasn't sure when it molted, it burrowed itself and I barely uncovered it today. Just checking if he/she was hungry that's all. Good looking out though!.... btw, its probably almost 2".
Ah. I'd wait a couple of molts before deciding either way. I've found that as they hit the 3" or so mark, they are more easily sexed, even if you've not a lot of experience with it.
Male or female, it's a Grammostola, it'll have a good long life yet!

Also, judging from the fangs, I'd say it molted not more than a day before the pic was taken. They are still very white!

ranglo211

Arachnopeon
Thanks you guys for all your're comments! I enjoy them all.
It actually grew a half inch more!! It's looking/getting alot more scarier on every molt LOL!- But it is a sweet heart, it really is.. :)

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Beautiful! What kind of a size increase did you get this molt?
Here's a growth comparison of my Chaco, in case you're interested - the top molt took place on April 9, 2010, then the last one, December 9, 2010, and Cocoa as he looks today ... (just fed him his first post-molt cricket today, by the way).

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice! My little one is about 1.25" now so I have a long way to go...

Blurboy

Arachnopeon
Here's my Chaco just after his molt :clap:

You definitely should leave any food out until the fangs have hardened up apart from the cricket being a danger to the spider as well. Someone on another forum site I use has recently had his juvenile attacked by a cricket and the spider is now doing it's best to recover. Grim hey :barf:

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
Lookin good! I made a threat about our chaco just laying on the glass for over a week. Last night it was out waving its rear while moving in circles and I was hoping it was making a molt mat. I didnt want to turn on any bright lights and disrupt it(if that makes a difference) This morning its back against the glass lol.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on the molt. Its always exciting no matter how many times you see it and no matter how many years you are in the hobby.

ryancreek

Arachnopeon
It's way to early for feeding! I'd get that cricket out of there and try again in a couple of weeks.
I agree with keeping prey items out of there when a molt is coming for sure, but why wait so long to attempt to feed again? :? I feed my small T's within 2-4 days post molt - and they are always very hungry. I could see waiting a week or two after a molt if it was an adult, but from what I've read, slings and juvies harden up much faster after a molt and are also in much greater need of rehydration and nutrients after their pre molt fast.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with keeping prey items out of there when a molt is coming for sure, but why wait so long to attempt to feed again? :? I feed my small T's within 2-4 days post molt - and they are always very hungry. I could see waiting a week or two after a molt if it was an adult, but from what I've read, slings and juvies harden up much faster after a molt and are also in much greater need of rehydration and nutrients after their pre molt fast.
You can start feeding a tarantula as soon as its fangs are fully hardened. Basically when they are black in color. If they are red, then the fangs are not ready and the tarantula is defenseless. Younger tarantulas harden up faster than older more mature/larger specimens. So as a general rule of thumb waiting a week or two is ideal.

Younger tarantulas will not die of starvation by waiting a week or two. So the need you speak of is not that great or a big deal. Misting the enclosure after a molt, on the other hand is important as slings lose hydration faster due to a thinner exoskeleton. Usually most will not have a water dish with their smaller slings. But if there is a water dish present, they can always get their own hydration.