My first T's home

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I'll be ordering my first tarantula Monday. A 1/4-1/2 inch Brachypelma albopilosum. I put this home together in a deli cup. Does it look good? Should I change anything? image.jpeg

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
looks fine. it is pretty large however for a 1/4" sling. i use vials for that size. is that a 16oz deli cup?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
At 1/2" or less I put my Ts in a condiment cup, 1/4" or less in Thornton vials.

That cup looks great for a larger T, I would however sink in the dish when you use it. I've noticed small terrestrial Ts aren't always that "curious" to explore a cap and find out there's water. They seem to treat the cap as an obstruction. I make the cap near flush w/the sub.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
small terrestrial Ts aren't always that "curious" to explore a cap and find out there's water. They seem to treat the cap as an obstruction. I make the cap near flush w/the sub.
Would you give a water dish to a 1/2 inch T? Or just use misting?

I'm happy I have a good home for it when it gets bigger!

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I always do water dishes. If you need something smaller then a bottle cap. Try one of the monopoly hotels upside down, or if you need smaller then that go for the houses. Always good to have just in case in my opinion. I'm always paranoid of mine dehydrating.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Would you give a water dish to a 1/2 inch T? Or just use misting?

I'm happy I have a good home for it when it gets bigger!
Yes I would, I always do. I don't rely on misting. The water droplets evaporate, and you never know when they are thirsty. However, not all Ts will drink from a dish. The key IMO is to pay attention to their abdomen size. If fat, they are fine. However, I have found once Ts reach 2" then eve a fat T will require water. AND, at 2" or more, a fat T may look like it won't drink, NOT TRUE.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Thank you everyone! I asked my husband to bring home some condiment cups from the restaurant where he works. Love the idea with monopoly hotels.
@viper69 I know you've told me some things more than once and I appreciate you being patient with me. As a thirty something, sleep deprived mom, sometimes some info doesn't stick as well. Or perhaps that's true of everyone? Either way, thanks!

lunarae

Arachnobaron
yeah they work excellent for me. if your the same from earlier I chatted with during the stream I did, I had one of the hotels set up in that little ones enclosure *nods*

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
yeah they work excellent for me. if your the same from earlier I chatted with during the stream I did, I had one of the hotels set up in that little ones enclosure *nods*
Yup! That was me. I didn't notice the water dish at all! I was to mesmerized by that little cutie of yours!

lunarae

Arachnobaron
haha. it was pretty fun to see that up close, even if it wasn't 100% the best quality

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Okay. Found some condiment cups. How does this look? There are 20ish holes in the lid too, which is clear. image.jpeg

Last edited:

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Well, we had a big, unexpected expense come up, so I won't be ordering tomorrow, but I'll be ready in a couple weeks when I can.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
I was always under the impression that with little slings like that water bowls were more of a risk than a benefit and they can get most their moisture needs via food and using a dropper to get some water beads on the sides of the container/ on plastic leaves and such.