My first tarantula.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just fed a baby cricket to my T. it seemed to scare him so I just crushed it and set it in the corner. I assume either he is not hungry or the baby cricket was to big ?
Many slings are intimidated by live prey. Leave the crushed cricket overnight to see if it ia scavenged :)

JSgrewit42

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. My sling took the dead cricket into his burrow. Do I need to remove the cricket? Or is messing up the Ts burrow not a good thing.

Just ordered a Pelinobius muticus Around 3/4 inch. Also a chilobrachys fimbriatus around 1 inch.i will See them in a few days.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Hey guys. My sling took the dead cricket into his burrow. Do I need to remove the cricket? Or is messing up the Ts burrow not a good thing.
If it took it into its burrow no more action is required on your side. ;) It'll eat it and you probably wouldn't even find a bolus, if you looked, so just leave it in peace. Usually, Ts bring out the rest and dump it in a corner of the enclosure or into the water dish.

Just ordered a Pelinobius muticus Around 3/4 inch. Also a chilobrachys fimbriatus around 1 inch.i will See them in a few days.
Sorry, I have no words for this. :rolleyes:

decirp

Arachnopeon
If it took it into its burrow no more action is required on your side. ;) It'll eat it and you probably wouldn't even find a bolus, if you looked, so just leave it in peace. Usually, Ts bring out the rest and dump it in a corner of the enclosure or into the water dish.

Sorry, I have no words for this. :rolleyes:
this is good to know thanks, never would consider worrying about the T taking it into the burrow, but never thought they would take the leftovers out for ya ... wicked

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Those are Old World T's with a bite that can put you in the hospital. Generally people keep New World T's for some time before moving on to OW's. You might reconsider that purchase until you get some more experience. If you decide to go through with it, be very careful and I would suggest checking out some videos on how to safely re-house them.

wingedcoatl

Arachnopeon
You are asking for trouble getting very advanced spiders when you are so new to keeping them. You started with a great one. There's a nice list in the post in my sig to choose from if having only one is boring you somehow. Old world Ts are fast, and seriously venomous. They are in a whole different class. And you didn't even pick the "easy" ones.

JSgrewit42

Arachnopeon
I appreciate the concerns. My experience with breeding rattlesnakes might have led me to believe I could care for an advanced spider. Maybe I am wrong. I hope I succeed in my endeavor. But I assumed a fast moving spider Is different from a quick biting snake. But I’m not as afraid of the bite trust me lol. Hopefully experienced ones can help me with any troubles I have among the way

wingedcoatl

Arachnopeon
I appreciate the concerns. My experience with breeding rattlesnakes might have led me to believe I could care for an advanced spider. Maybe I am wrong. I hope I succeed in my endeavor. But I assumed a fast moving spider Is different from a quick biting snake. But I’m not as afraid of the bite trust me lol. Hopefully experienced ones can help me with any troubles I have among the way
Well, you certainly have experience with "seriously venomous." Yes, people here will definitely help you. I would still recommend keeping easier stuff until you get a feel for it for practical purposes, but if you are used to acting under pressure with high stakes then sure, why not I guess.

Most people go from what you got to NW arboreals like Psalmopoeus to OW terrestrials like Augacephalus, Ceratogyrus, Monocentropus, or Harpactira, and then to what you're doing from there. Just bear in mind that you're throwing yourself in the deep end while you are still making husbandry mistakes that those critters wont be as forgiving of.

You have a couple days shipping time to get caught up at least? Good luck dude.

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Just make sure you read up on your 2 new t's before they arrive. I got a c. fimbriatus back in June and it went from an inch to over 2.5 by now. However, it loves its burrow and i hardly see it. Just be prepared and if possible when you first rehouse it just put the vial inside the enclosure if possible and close the lid, unless you like a good chase.

JSgrewit42

Arachnopeon
My friend has a Avic he is around 2 inches and is wondering if he can use a deli cup 32 ounce to house.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My friend has a Avic he is around 2 inches and is wondering if he can use a deli cup 32 ounce to house.
IMO, that's a little small for a 2" Avic, but it could do in a pinch. You'd definitely need to rehouse it next molt.

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
A 6 inch tall, 32 ounce deli cup could work til next molt at least, labeled as Plastic Soup Food Container with Lid on Amazon. I use these for some arboreals.

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
Yep, as others said you can do crickets. I've actually been able to find really really tiny ones but it's a good idea to "gut load" them before feeding them to the sling. A lot of stores dont do much in the way of nutrition for crickets so throwing in a water source and some food for half a day or day before hand is helpful. Just make sure if you throw in fruits and such that it's not expired, moldy, or rotten. :)